Contribute
Register

Can I install High Sierra on my hp probooks 4530s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for replying. Unable to attach any files as cannot boot.

The FAQ is very clear on the required files for the case you can't boot.

Hello,

I would like to update by 4530s (see profile) to High Sierra.
Currently I am on El Captain 10.11.4 installed on a Samsung EVO SSD. Everything is working perfectly.
The install was done with nguyenmac's PBI (no longer supported).
I want to stay with HFS+ format.
I have read and re-read:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-zbook-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch.232948/ and this: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/.

No doubt the instructions work, but I am confused on the exact (and only necessary) steps to take to update my system.
Can someone who has made this kind of a transition please post the steps? Would following post #7 here be all I need?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I would like to update by 4530s (see profile) to High Sierra.
Currently I am on El Captain 10.11.4 installed on a Samsung EVO SSD. Everything is working perfectly.
The install was done with nguyenmac's PBI (no longer supported).
I want to stay with HFS+ format.
I have read and re-read:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-zbook-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch.232948/ and this: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/.

No doubt the instructions work, but I am confused on the exact (and only necessary) steps to take to update my system.
Can someone who has made this kind of a transition please post the steps? Would following post #7 here be all I need?

Thanks in advance.

Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-zbook-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch.232948/

And here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-high-sierra-update-or-fresh-install.232855/

Hello RehabMan,

Thank you for your quick response. I have of course read those already. Let me be more specific. I am starting here (quoting the Guide):

"To transition from PBI-CE based install

If you used the ProBook Installer-Clover Edition (PBI-CE), you can transition to this hotpatch setup:

1) remove all files in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched except for SSDT.aml (it came from ssdtPRGen.sh)
2) then follow all instructions for post-install in the guide (ACPI/patched, config.plist)
3) you can skip the part about "Power Management" unless you accidentally deleted SSDT.aml
4) ./downloads.sh and ./install_downloads.sh can be used to update your kexts"

My questions are:

(note: I am trying this first on a HD clone)

a. Do I upgrade Clover after or before step 1?
b. In step 2 do I need to follow all the steps in post-install section as it says or just the sections in parentheses?
c. do I start the HS Installer after step 4?

Apologies if these are dumb questions. I am far from understanding how all this works, but I would like continue to benefit from the good work done on this forum. I have managed since 10.6.8 and hopefully picked up a little bit along the way. The only thing I can offer back is to report successes on upgrading my current two build.

Thanks again.

a. Do I upgrade Clover after or before step 1?
b. In step 2 do I need to follow all the steps in post-install section as it says or just the sections in parentheses?

I would update Clover before starting.
Follow all, as written.

c. do I start the HS Installer after step 4?

Read guide, post #1, "System updates".

Essentially, you want to insure your EFI/Clover is up-to-date with respect to the github project, and your kexts installed to the system volume are up-to-date before starting any sort of system update.

I would update Clover before starting.
Follow all, as written.

Read guide, post #1, "System updates".

Essentially, you want to insure your EFI/Clover is up-to-date with respect to the github project, and your kexts installed to the system volume are up-to-date before starting any sort of system update.

Thanks for your reply. I gave it a run but must have messed up somewhere since the furthest I got was 10.13.3 running without sound, function keys and trackball pref panel. I will try again starting by cloning my SSD (build from PBI) to a spare HDD.

Two questions:

1) I tried ssdtPRgen.sh (without any arguments) but the system would not boot. So, I went back to my original SSDT.
Is it OK to continue with SSDT from 10.11.4 or should I try some of the arguments in the Guide?

2) You replied to start with Post Installation. Can I assume that I should start with the second paragraph since I have a running system (after updating to latest Clover)?

Thanks in advance.

1) I tried ssdtPRgen.sh (without any arguments) but the system would not boot. So, I went back to my original SSDT.
Is it OK to continue with SSDT from 10.11.4 or should I try some of the arguments in the Guide?

No ideas without "problem reporting" files.

2) You replied to start with Post Installation. Can I assume that I should start with the second paragraph since I have a running system (after updating to latest Clover)?

You should check for correct EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI...

No ideas without "problem reporting" files.

You should check for correct EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI...

Switching over to Hotpatch (still on 10.11.4) was successful! Indeed following the Guide carefully and taking the time to understand what is happening at each step was the key. I updated Clover/UEFI as the last step before rebooting and everything works as before. Like magic. Next step is High Sierra.

Update: Followed the Guide for System Updates and High Sierra 10.13.3 update was a success. On the first reboot, function keys, touchpad and energy pref panes did not work. After cache rebuilt and couple of reboots, the systems is fully functional. It seems I had to re-install Clover/UEFI even though it was installed in the previous step.

Thanks, RehabMan!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back