Contribute
Register

Can I dual boot to an existing Win7 installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've put my hardware together and I'm waiting for Mountain Lion to come out.

I've got 2 1TB drives.

Can I install Win7 on one drive, use it for a couple of weeks and then put a boot loader and Mountain Lion on the other when it comes out?

Or should I put some sort of boot loader on now, then install win7 then add OSX to the boot menu later?

Thanks

avonpalmer said:
I've put my hardware together and I'm waiting for Mountain Lion to come out.

I've got 2 1TB drives.

Can I install Win7 on one drive, use it for a couple of weeks and then put a boot loader and Mountain Lion on the other when it comes out?

Or should I put some sort of boot loader on now, then install win7 then add OSX to the boot menu later?

Thanks

Dude- you should really, really, really, really search the forum before posting a topic that has been discussed a trillion times.

Please read this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php

1. Install Windows 7 as you normally would.
2. When you're ready to install Mac, disconnect your Windows 7 HDD. (Only have your Mac HDD connected to your Mobo)
3. Install Mac via Unibeast.
4. Once installed, run Multibeast and update any kexts you need.
5. Once fully configured, turn off your machine and reconnect your Windows 7 HDD.
6. Turn on your machine and go to your BIOS.
7. Make sure that your Mac HDD boots first and your Windows 7 HDD is secondary.
8. When your Mac HDD boots you'll be presented with Chimera where you can pick an OS.

joesayegh said:
2. When you're ready to install Mac, disconnect your Windows 7 HDD. (Only have your Mac HDD connected to your Mobo)
5. Once fully configured, turn off your machine and reconnect your Windows 7 HDD.
8. When your Mac HDD boots you'll be presented with Chimera where you can pick an OS.
Many many thanks joesayegh. :thumbup:
I've read quite a bit and looked at a few YouTube videos and was 90% sure, but I still wanted to hear it confirmed before I made a mistake.

avonpalmer said:
joesayegh said:
Many many thanks joesayegh. :thumbup:
I've read quite a bit and looked at a few YouTube videos and was 90% sure, but I still wanted to hear it confirmed before I made a mistake.
ya also thanks i wanted to know this :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back