Contribute
Register

Can I crossfire a HD 6850 and a HD 6870?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
X68-UD4-F6
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a Gigabyte radeon HD 6850 now in my computer now running lion 10.7.3 and I want a little extra power because I have two monitors now and am getting a third. Can I buy a HD 6870 and crossfire it with my already HD 6850?

Also does it matter that my HD 6850 is by gigabyte and the HD 6870 would be by xfx?

Im kind of new so be gentle xD

Thank you for any comments :)

One more question, guess I should of mentioned. I have a z-68-ud4 mother board. That is not on the compatible list but I know it supports crossfire so that is alright yeah?

taylorwatson18 said:
One more question, guess I should of mentioned. I have a z-68-ud4 mother board. That is not on the compatible list but I know it supports crossfire so that is alright yeah?

I'm confused. What do you mean it's not a compatible board?

If you crossfire the 2 you will be running at the 6850 speeds.

pwalth21 said:
taylorwatson18 said:

I'm confused. What do you mean it's not a compatible board?

If you crossfire the 2 you will be running at the 6850 speeds.

Ok thank you :)

But Crossfire is not supported in MacOS :?

Why would you want to run two of those cards separately? Monitors?

As alex_tzardea Crossfire does not work in OS X. They will run as separate dual cards.

So 2 video cards in OS X will give you no more than more outputs.If you need more power,you will need a superior graphics card.If you get the 6870,you will have a more powerful GPU in OS X and a 2x6850-like xfire setup in windows.You will need a xfire bridge too

I've read that in OS X the second card runs at full fan speed, is this true?
Or does the second card just idles in OS X while the first card makes all the work?

Thinking of buying a second 6870 for my 2560x1440 display for gaming :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back