Contribute
Register

Can I Copy clover folder only to replace it after an upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte h110m-s2
CPU
Intel i5 6500 3.2Ghz
Graphics
MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Ok so I'm fairly new to "hackintosh-ing", I finally was able to install OS X Sierra on my PC and got everything to work fine except for one display glitch which I'll be looking into soon enough.
I have a couple of questions here:
I read that I should be okay just installing an update from the app store and clover will handle things without any troubles. Worst case scenario I might have to go through the post installation from multibeast.
1. Is that true? Can I just install updates from the app store without facing a ton of problems?
2. Can I just copy the clover folder from the efi partition and save it for later? Like just replace it with the one that'll be created after updating the system.?
It took me quite a while to get things working especially sound, I don't even remember how it started working. After installing the drivers using multibeast the first reboot didn't get things working and just as I was about to give up, I tried to reboot the system again and it finally started working, I don't really want to mess things up again with updating.

I'm really new to this community, infact this is the first time I'm properly using a Mac operating system and might come off as stupid and amaturish, please excuse me on that I'm a real noob at this.

Welcome to the forums. There are never silly questions if you don't know the answers.
Yes you can update through the built in Software Update like a real Mac. If you are ever uncertain about an update best to set your system not to automatically update and keep an eye on tonymacx86's social media. There is always an announcement and people will test and report problems if they arise.

Once you have a good Clover folder, keep the entire EFI folder in a safe place(storage). I have one for each of my systems just incase a drive fails or a partition gets corrupted.

Ok so I'm fairly new to "hackintosh-ing", I finally was able to install OS X Sierra on my PC and got everything to work fine except for one display glitch which I'll be looking into soon enough.
I have a couple of questions here:
I read that I should be okay just installing an update from the app store and clover will handle things without any troubles. Worst case scenario I might have to go through the post installation from multibeast.
1. Is that true? Can I just install updates from the app store without facing a ton of problems?
2. Can I just copy the clover folder from the efi partition and save it for later? Like just replace it with the one that'll be created after updating the system.?
It took me quite a while to get things working especially sound, I don't even remember how it started working. After installing the drivers using multibeast the first reboot didn't get things working and just as I was about to give up, I tried to reboot the system again and it finally started working, I don't really want to mess things up again with updating.

I'm really new to this community, infact this is the first time I'm properly using a Mac operating system and might come off as stupid and amaturish, please excuse me on that I'm a real noob at this.
If you format instead of repartition in disk utility, your efi will stay intact.

Welcome to the forums. There are never silly questions if you don't know the answers.
Yes you can update through the built in Software Update like a real Mac. If you are ever uncertain about an update best to set your system not to automatically update and keep an eye on tonymacx86's social media. There is always an announcement and people will test and report problems if they arise.

Once you have a good Clover folder, keep the entire EFI folder in a safe place(storage). I have one for each of my systems just incase a drive fails or a partition gets corrupted.

Ok so ill just make a copy of efi but looks like its unmounted now. how do i get it back to make a copy?

Last edited:
Ok so ill just make a copy of efi but looks like its unmounted now. how do i get it back to make a copy?
Yes use EFI Mounter linked above. If you have more than one disk in your build then identify the partition you want to mount using Application/Utilities/Terminal
Type in:
Code:
diskutil list
The output will give you the identifier of your EFI partition, for example disk0s1, so when you use EFI mounter that will be the identifier that you select. Ensure you have in Finder/Preferences - Hard disks ticked so that it mounts on your desktop, alternatively look under the Devices section in the Finder window.

awesome! thanks a lot both of y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back