Graphics
Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Just curious, I've been reading that some people have gotten vanilla working but I think it's mostly on the Gigabyte boards, I'm wondering if it's possible on Asus boards (Specifically: P8P67 Deluxe) or if we must run legacy kernel for Asus still.

A side question: is disconnecting the other HDs a requirement when installing OS X to a certain drive, or is it just a precaution?

Thanks

Hi,

I currently am not running OS X on my Sandy Bridge machine (only Windows 7 Pro, since I need to work with it and play games on it...).
In my case all I had to do was install OS X using iBoot Legacy and afterwards run multibeast and install BridgeHelper. Since BridgeHelper is an original Apple kernel I guess that counts as vanilla :)

Best regards,
Daniel

Oh really? I thought when you install with iBoot-legacy that's, well, the legacy kernel. But the new iBoot includes the new sandy bridge vanilla support kernel so I guess that answers that. I guess I just wanted to know of anyone in particular that has gotten vanilla to work with asus since I only see gigabyte people saying they got vanilla.

Thanks.

iboot is a live cd of the bootloader.
it doesnt install anything onto the computer, it just allows it to run while the disc is in.

I am running my Rig with Vanilla Kernel. Everything works fine :)

timy-t said:
I am running my Rig with Vanilla Kernel. Everything works fine :)

Hi, how did you get vanilla running natively? and which kext need to be removed from "extra" folder?

samisnake said:
iboot is a live cd of the bootloader.
it doesnt install anything onto the computer, it just allows it to run while the disc is in.

Right, but then what is the difference between iBoot and iBoot-legacy? I figured since the word "legacy" was the difference in the name, it had something to do with the legacy kernel.

blaenk said:
Just curious, I've been reading that some people have gotten vanilla working but I think it's mostly on the Gigabyte boards, I'm wondering if it's possible on Asus boards (Specifically: P8P67 Deluxe) or if we must run legacy kernel for Asus still.

A side question: is disconnecting the other HDs a requirement when installing OS X to a certain drive, or is it just a precaution?

Thanks

Actually, Asus is leading the way with Sandy Bridge. Many people here are running on Asus boards, 100% stable with vanilla.

They are the top choice at the moment, as they are the only board to support full overclocking (using multiplier) and native Bluetooth. Plus the UEFI BIOS is excellent.

Yoga said:
blaenk said:

Thanks

Actually, Asus is leading the way with Sandy Bridge. Many people here are running on Asus boards, 100% stable with vanilla.

They are the top choice at the moment, as they are the only board to support full overclocking (using multiplier) and native Bluetooth. Plus the UEFI BIOS is excellent.

Awesome thanks. Yeah, I have an Asus board, I was just curious because my install is from the early days when I guess legacy kernel was still required. I'm gonna have to hunt down a vanilla guide, though if you have any you could link I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again. It's cause I just recently bought an ATI 6870 to replace my Nvidia GTX 460 which was prone to Fermi Freeze, and since lately I've been seeing many threads about Gigabyte now being able to do vanilla and not many about Asus, I was wondering if perhaps I should also switch my Asus board. Glad I don't have to then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back