CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, I have been out the hackintosh game for a while now, pretty much since my last Z170X-UD5 build, and was wanting to do a final last build as it seems apple wont be needing to use intel processors much longer so after having a look at the buyers guide ive noticed that a lot of the 400 series motherboards seem to of really cut back on how many pci-e slots they think you need with some only having two slots.

I usually try to stay with Gigabyte boards with my last few build as using Asus in the past had me loosing power on some fan headers on the board but maybe i was just unlucky, anyhow i would really appreciate if anyone could advise me on a good board that has at least 4 or 5 pci-e slots , and also is i9-10900k a good choice.

The i9-10900K is top of the range, so yeah it is a good choice.

Regarding a 400-series motherboard, the Z490 boards are best, usually with 2 or 3 PCIe x16 slots and 1-3 PCIe x1 slots on an ATX board.

Things have moved on since your Skylake system was current, including how well Asus board work with macOS. There is little to choose between Gigabyte and Asus in the last few series of Intel boards regards Hackintosh compatibility.

If you are looking for a path to follow I would recommend looking at CaseySJ's Golden Build, he has created a comprehensive guide that covers pretty much everything you would need to know.

The only downside being the Gigabyte boards are now hard to come by new, and they are a very high priced on eBay. Due in part to how well they perform in Hackintosh systems and the fact they are now two series behind the current series of motherboards.

Scan.co.uk have a number of Z490 boards available new in the UK.

One thing you will definitely need to change is your Nvidia GTX1070. As that graphics card is only supported as far as High Sierra, which you probably know already.

An AMD GPU is essential for a high end Hack capable of running Monterey, Ventura etc. At least prices are now coming down to reasonable levels, so getting a decent and more importantly a compatible RX5000 or RX6000 GPU won't completely break the bank.

See this link to the GPU Buyers guide.

The i9-10900K is top of the range, so yeah it is a good choice.

Regarding a 400-series motherboard, the Z490 boards are best, usually with 2 or 3 PCIe x16 slots and 1-3 PCIe x1 slots on an ATX board.

Things have moved on since your Skylake system was current, including how well Asus board work with macOS. There is little to choose between Gigabyte and Asus in the last few series of Intel boards regards Hackintosh compatibility.

If you are looking for a path to follow I would recommend looking at CaseySJ's Golden Build, he has created a comprehensive guide that covers pretty much everything you would need to know.

The only downside being the Gigabyte boards are now hard to come by new, and they are a very high priced on eBay. Due in part to how well they perform in Hackintosh systems and the fact they are now two series behind the current series of motherboards.

Scan.co.uk have a number of Z490 boards available new in the UK.

Thanks Edhawk , quite a lot to think over re gigabyte or asus boards. I had a look at caseysj golden build and it looks like things have gone a bit more complicated than when I did it last.

This would be my third time to hackintosh if I go ahead with it and remember you've got to do a load of reading when things don't work.

I'm thinking about getting the rx6800 xt as prices seem to be cooling down,, is there a reason the 6800 and 6900 xt cards aren't in the gpu buyer's guide on this site it shows the 5700 xt as the top card.

is there a reason the 6800 and 6900 xt cards aren't in the gpu buyer's guide on this site it shows the 5700 xt as the top card.
When the guide was written those cards didn't have support yet. It certainly should be updated.

Ah, my bad!

Ah, my bad!
Not really, your doing an outstanding job, life is busy. Thanks trs96 that makes sense, I'm toying with the idea of having two systems using the same keyboard, mouse and monitor as in to have a perfect working mac like a mac studio for running logic x and a i9 gaming pc as I do the odd game ha,,,,its like apple are forcing my decision,, I obviously have to give this a bit of thought but thank you very much for all comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back