Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580 + HD4600
Hi everyone,
It's the first time I'm going to build a hackintosh and it's for video editing (fcpX). And frankly speaking it's the first time I'll even build a computer. I've done plenty of homework by reading in this site, but I still have some questions:
1. The Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H mobo has a M.2 onboard connector. So I thought I'd use a Plextor M6e M.2 SSD as boot drive. Is it OK, or will it cause compatibility issues?
2. An alternative (and probably much better) mobo would be the ASUS Sabertooth X79 & i7-4820k, but tonymac's byersguide states: "As of OS X 10.9.2, Ivy Bridge E/EP based systems are working with the native kernel, however workarounds are necessary for full support". And that's quite scary for a noob like me...
3. I'll go for a R9 280x card which many users have reported working OOB. But which one should I choose? Asus, Evga, ΧFX, Sapphire? Are there any notable differences in speed, noise or compatibility? Also I saw X and tri- X models... Any suggestions?
4. A possible future upgrade is a second GPU. Keeping that in mind I guess I should choose right from the beginning the appropriate PSU. According to the enemax psu calculator (http://www.enermax.outervision.com/PSUEngine) power consumption with 2xR9 cards is 825-885 W (depending on mobo-cpu combination). But isn't a 900 W PSU a completely overkill as long I'll use a single GPU (619-662 W)?
Thank you in advance.
Build proposal:
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H / ASUS Sabertooth X79
Core i7-4790K / i7-4820k
Radeon R9 280X
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB
Corsair RM 650 / 1000W
Noctua NH-D14
Plextor M6e PX-G128M6e M.2 2280 128GB PCI-Express 2.0 x2 Internal SSD
2x2T Seagate Barracuda HDD

Did some further reading and found the answer for question 1., decided to go the easiest way (GA-Z97X-UD5H/i7 4790K), but still need some advice concerning the R9 280x GPU. Anyone please?

Did you do a search for 280X?

Since, you have made up your choice on the motherboard and CPU then I will skip that q.

As for which R9-280Xs work OOB, do a quick search on this site and you will see which ones worked for people. BTW, excellent card especially if you will be editing in FCPX.

Get as large a PSU as you can afford. Especially, since you plan to go with a second GPU down the road.

Are you certain your drive choices will be enough for the media you will be working with?

Good luck.

Thank you for the answers. I did a search, found out which R9-280x worked for people, but I'm a little bit confused on which one to choose, concerning speed and especially low noise level. The 2x2T drives will do the job, later on I'll add some more. I also have a couple of external drives, will hook them up too (as backup).

Thank you for the answers. I did a search, found out which R9-280x worked for people, but I'm a little bit confused on which one to choose, concerning speed and especially low noise level. The 2x2T drives will do the job, later on I'll add some more. I also have a couple of external drives, will hook them up too (as backup).

I have a Sapphire 270x dual fan and it is super quite even under full load. I would recommend either a sapphire or gigabyte they seem to have very quite fans. even thought the sabertooth might not be as compatible but its a really good looking board

Hello it's my first post here. My name is Pierpaolo and I'm from Italy.
Thank god I found this post!!!

I have to build an Hackintosh (basically to save money for new dslr equipment since my business is growing quite fast) for editing 2d graphics and, most important, FinalCut HD footage.
So according to the buyers guide I decided to built a machine with this basic configuration
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
Core i7-4790K
GeFo 760 2gb
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB
Today I was doing a more in depth research for
performances of the graphics card and I read that the Radeon 280x is far far better than the Nvidia ones.
I think I'll go with the Gigabyte version since its 100 bucks less than others brand.

Thank you for the post...now I'm more relaxed reading that it also works OBB :D

@rickyreall84: Thanks for the GPU suggestion. 2011 socket would be great (and more expandable in the future), but unfortunately I'm a noob...
@lostanco: 100$ is a great argument!

Z97 may not be any easier. The best thing to do would be read up on the successful builds with the board you are thinking of using. It will be the best way to figure out what you will have to do as well to get your machine working. X79 shouldn't be that difficult since OS X now recognizes the chips natively. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back