Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H
CPU
Intel Core i5-6500
Graphics
R9 280
Hi all,
as my old Mac Pro 3.1, that has served me very well, is getting old and wants to retire, I was thinking about building Hackintosh, but as I am no experpert with hardware, I just wanted to ask some questions before buying useless stuff.
So, I would be glad to use the Mac Pro case again for the new computer, as the desing is just soooo good. Therefore my first question would be if it is possible to put a normal ATX board into the case without much trouble (because the Mac Pro is based on a mATX board as far as I know, but please correct me if this is wrong)?
I had a look at the Buyers Guide and I wondered about the AMD GPUs. Are they supported, as I just recently replaced my old card with an AMD R9 280 and would be thankfull, if I could continue using it?
Final question (for now :p): I also was thinking about the right CPu for me. As my budget is limited, I thought about an i5 4690K as in the buyers guide, as it is not too expensive. I do not need a high end PC. It should just be fine for applications like XCode, Unity and a bit of 3D-Modelling (ok, maybe also a bit of gaming here and there :angel: (BF4, SC2). Would a i5 4690K be enough or should it be something better? (I also was thinking about an AMD FX 9590, as it is really "cheap", for the performance (or is it not?), but this is not the right place for this according to your rules :p)
And can I use Bootcamp on a Hackintosh?
And as I have asked another question anyhow: will get a remarkable perfomance boost at all? I currently run the Mac Pro 3.1 with 8-core 3Ghz, 18gb of Ram and the R9 280 as mentioned.
Ok, that was all I think.

Greetings, Asder0815

Hi all,
as my old Mac Pro 3.1, that has served me very well, is getting old and wants to retire, I was thinking about building Hackintosh, but as I am no experpert with hardware, I just wanted to ask some questions before buying useless stuff.
So, I would be glad to use the Mac Pro case again for the new computer, as the desing is just soooo good. Therefore my first question would be if it is possible to put a normal ATX board into the case without much trouble (because the Mac Pro is based on a mATX board as far as I know, but please correct me if this is wrong)?
I had a look at the Buyers Guide and I wondered about the AMD GPUs. Are they supported, as I just recently replaced my old card with an AMD R9 280 and would be thankfull, if I could continue using it?
Final question (for now :p): I also was thinking about the right CPu for me. As my budget is limited, I thought about an i5 4690K as in the buyers guide, as it is not too expensive. I do not need a high end PC. It should just be fine for applications like XCode, Unity and a bit of 3D-Modelling (ok, maybe also a bit of gaming here and there :angel: (BF4, SC2). Would a i5 4690K be enough or should it be something better? (I also was thinking about an AMD FX 9590, as it is really "cheap", for the performance (or is it not?), but this is not the right place for this according to your rules :p)
And can I use Bootcamp on a Hackintosh?
And as I have asked another question anyhow: will get a remarkable perfomance boost at all? I currently run the Mac Pro 3.1 with 8-core 3Ghz, 18gb of Ram and the R9 280 as mentioned.
Ok, that was all I think.

Greetings, Asder0815

There is a subforum here where they go into detail about Mac Pro Casemodding :thumbup:

When the R9 280 runs fine with your current OSX setup, why shouldn't it run fine with a new one? :D

I can't really tell something about the performance though. You could run Geekbench and compare it to results from users with an i5. I'm pretty sure you will find some :thumbup:

There is a subforum here where they go into detail about Mac Pro Casemodding :thumbup:

When the R9 280 runs fine with your current OSX setup, why shouldn't it run fine with a new one? :D

I can't really tell something about the performance though. You could run Geekbench and compare it to results from users with an i5. I'm pretty sure you will find some :thumbup:

Ok, thank you, I will take a look there.

I was just asking to be sure about that. But I will still not have a bootscreen with the R9 280, will I?
And another question: Is it worth buying a better power supply to upgrade eventually on Crossfire or does Crossfire works at all in a Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back