Contribute
Register

Buying advice for an i7 8700 + Geforce 1070 High Sierra build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
R9 290x
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I want to preface this by saying I'm a newbie in the Hackintosh scene so I have very little experience with debugging, complicated installs, etc. I had a hackintosh in the past, but I tried to pick hardware with minimal setup that just worked. Ideally I'd like to do something similar now - figure out a build that will work well without any complicated setup, or if that isn't possible, find a build that someone has documented all the complicated steps in detail so it is dummy proof :)

The main requirements I'm shooting for are using an i7 8700 and a 1070 GPU. I don't plan to overclock so I don't think an 8700K is worth the extra money and heat sink, and the 1080 doesn't seem worth the extra $$ over a 1070. Ideally I'd like to get Thunderbolt and bluetooth working as well, but that isn't quite as necessary and I am okay with using extra hardware for that since it often seems easier.

Searching through the forums I found this post - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...black-edition-high-sierra-thunderbolt.246074/ - and it looks like most things are working, but there are a few minor glitches.

I already have a 480GB SSD to use for the OS and I plan to shuck a WD easystore 8TB for the HDD for extra storage.

Aside from that, here is the rest of the hardware I'm starting out with from the post I linked, but I'm definitely open to changing any of it if it will make the install easier:

I suspect the bluetooth on the mobo won't work so I'll probably look for a USB bluetooth card after I get the install working, so recommendations there are also welcome.

To sum things up - I want a build with the easiest high sierra setup possible and I'm okay with either following a detailed guide or updating my hardware, but I mostly want to make sure I won't have major issues before spending money on the build.

Personally if you want less hassles, I'd loose the Nvidia Card and get a OSX supported (10.13.4 or later) AMD card. An RX580 or better will run without any extra drivers or headaches. Just read some of the Nvidia driver threads and you'll see what I mean. I had that EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC card and suffered the issues you'll read about if you dig deeper into this forum. The only good thing to come of that GTX 1070 was I bought it before the bitcoin miners ran the prices up so when I sold it I actually made a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back