i7 8700K
Graphics
VEGA
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm running an X99 but I'm annoyed and CBA to fix an update every time. I need the smootest and most compatible but also fastest Hackintosh possible. Preferably, a clean installation directly.

I see that now Kaby Lake is supported on 200 series board, and judging by network (I219-V) and audio device (S1220A) this config will work:
Asus Apex, 7700K, 32GB DDR4 (G.Skill should do).
In case of a problem with network or sound, I have a backup Broadcom (100% compatible wifi/bluetooth) and USB audio so that's not an issue.

What is the fastest SSD available that has native compatibility? SM 960 Pro probably not, rite?

Is there any AMD card that is fully compatible too? I have an iGPU, GTX 950 and 1080Ti, but AMD seems the way to go Apple-wise so...

Thanks!

I'm running an X99 but I'm annoyed and CBA to fix an update every time. I need the smootest and most compatible but also fastest Hackintosh possible. Preferably, a clean installation directly.

I see that now Kaby Lake is supported on 200 series board, and judging by network (I219-V) and audio device (S1220A) this config will work:
Asus Apex, 7700K, 32GB DDR4 (G.Skill should do).
In case of a problem with network or sound, I have a backup Broadcom (100% compatible wifi/bluetooth) and USB audio so that's not an issue.

What is the fastest SSD available that has native compatibility? SM 960 Pro probably not, rite?

Is there any AMD card that is fully compatible too? I have an iGPU, GTX 950 and 1080Ti, but AMD seems the way to go Apple-wise so...

Thanks!

The Samsung SM960 Pro is a NVMe drive, and MacOS has no support for third party NVMe drives at this point. There are ways to install MacOS on NVMe drives, but it involves some hacks so it will not be a "clean installation directly".

The public beta of the next version of MacOS, High Sierra, has the NVMe restriction removed. But it is not clear if Apple will reinstate the restriction when High Sierra is finally released, some time in September or October. If you want to use a NVMe drive directly, and if you can wait some time, I suggest waiting until High Sierra is released to see if it has the NVMe restriction or not. You can purchase the other hardware components first.

Apple has used AMD graphics cards for some time in the real Macs. However, using an AMD graphics card in a hackintosh still has various issues. Please check this : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/

Again it is possible that High Sierra might change this scenario so that using a suitable AMD card may be easier. We just don't know at this point.

I'm aware of that, but I'm looking forward to High Sierra - Vega allegedly is OOB supported as is SM 960... theoretically.

the 960 EVO is really almost as fast as the pro, and is really a marvel. Though, it gaves me headache to install on sierra, so I gave up and moved it to my gaming pc (on a X79 RIV extreme, with a pcie card adaptater, really usefull stuff)

Sierra release is gonna be some time in Sept or October.

One more question.
Is it that big the difference between 960 nvme and sm951 ahci?
I heard nvme benefits would kick in future drives, not today's, which cannot use those speed advantages coz they aren't fast enough. Is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back