Intel Core i7 6700k
Graphics
Radeon RX Vega 56 8 GB
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,

Currently I'm in the proces of looking for a new graphic card but was wondering if it is compatible with my current system.
I build my system 3 years ago it's the system as in my signature ( GA-Z170X-UD5 TH | i7 6700 | GTX 950 )
At the moment I'm still running on Sierra but want to upgrade to Mojave also to work with Adobe 2020.

I saw in the buyer's guide that it's all AMD cards now and since black friday is around the corner I was thinking on buying a Sapphire RX 580 or with some luck a Sapphire Vega 56.

But the thing on my mind is how will my current system respond to the card? will it be compatible due to it being on a older system, will mojave run smoothly with the new graphic card?

Thanks in advance for all the help and answers!

The thing on my mind is how will my current system respond to the card? will it be compatible due to it being on a older system, will mojave run smoothly with the new graphic card ?

@jostakid,

Z 170 Architecture is not that old and should be absolutely fine with a AMD GPU upgrade.

I'm running Catalina 10.15.1 on a Z97 System with a Vega 64 and everything is perfectly fine (see White Knight in my sig)

Cheers
Jay

@jostakid,

Z 170 Architecture is not that old and should be absolutely fine with a AMD GPU upgrade.

I'm running Catalina 10.15.1 on a Z97 System with a Vega 64 and everything is perfectly fine (see White Knight in my sig)

Cheers
Jay
Thanks for your quick response! that's a boost for my confidence in buying a new graphic card !

Mohave and Catalina both run fine using RX580 on Z170.

I bought a powerful and affordable ATI Radeon RX 5700 8GB GPU two weeks ago when only 10.15.0 was available.

But to my shock, it was unsupported on macOS 10.15.0 and older.

Thankfully though, the latest update 10.15.1 has addressed this issue, and I was able to successfully install Catalina. I ran StarCraft 2 in 4K at max settings, there's some really weird graphical artifacts on that game, but I haven't had the time yet to do any kind of post installation of things like WhateverGreen or multibeast. I also can't use more than 1 Display port on the machine, but again, haven't spent any time on tweaking the config.plist or experimenting with kexts yet

So the brand new architecture works pretty good for now, and I'm sure more tiny problems will be fixed by 10.15.2. But I'll keep everyone in the loop with my progress.

OP: Also as a side note to OP, I have a nearly identical motherboard Z170 to what you have which was able to work with the Radeon RX 5700 GPU.

Also as a side note, does anyone here with a Z170 have a link to more info on getting my onboard audio to work?? I had it working once, but lost the kexts a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back