Contribute
Register

Buying a Dedicated GPU for your Monterey, Ventura or Sonoma Hackintosh

@Mark Quark Do you have any idea of the difference in performance between the RX570 (April 2017) and the RX6600 (Oct 2021) GPU?

I wouldn't get hung up on the fact the older card uses the full capabilities of the x16 slot and the newer RX6600 card only uses x8. The newer card is a huge improvement over the RX570 in terms of graphics processing.

Below is a section of a chart from TechPowerUp, which shows the relative performance difference between these two cards.

View attachment 568202
The RX6600 has twice the relative performance of your old RX570.

This is also borne out in GeekBench Metal results. See the table of Metal scores for these two and other GPU's.

I am sure you could make use of that increase in performance, in any work processes, gaming or other graphics related tasks you undertake.

Especially as some RX6600 cards are now available for less than £200 (in the UK) from the likes of other online retailers.
That person mentioned RX 6600 XT, not RX 6600. Their performances are quite different.

On various forums I asked about experiences with this card on games and programs like Final Cut Pro, Illustrator. As for games, it would be OK, but for the applications I asked about, this card is unlikely to bring anything, and many replied that it was not suitable.

I am also not very interested in charts and articles of various websites. I'm interested in the opinion of someone who has this card and has experience with it. @Edhawk

@Mark Quark In that case you should be looking at the RX6800 or RX6900 cards, not a card from the bottom end of the RX6000 series that is compatible with macOS.

@Bustycat I know which card he mentioned. The ‘XT’ cards are approximately 10% better/more powerful than the non-XT cards, so the difference between the RX570 and RX6600 XT would be even bigger. But the cost of the RX6600 XT cards doesn’t compare favourably with the lower priced RX6600 cards. Not for the level of performance increase gained by having an XT card.

In that case you should be looking at the RX6800 or RX6900 cards,
The 6950XT, top end AMD card, is selling for $630 at Amazon right now. Unimaginable just 1-2 years ago.

Screen Shot 16.jpg

Seems RX 6800 XT at $519.99 remains more cost-effective.
Both are excellent deals. The 6950XT gives a significantly higher Metal 3 benchmark score. Worth $110 for those using it professionally imo.

No matter which one people choose to go with, a good PSU rated at 850W or higher should be purchased.
The AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT has a rated power consumption of 335W, which means it draws a lot of power from your PSU. According to AMD, the minimum PSU recommendation for this card is 850W. This means you need a PSU that can provide at least 850W of continuous power to your system. However, this is not the only factor you need to consider. You also need to check the quality and efficiency of your PSU, as well as the power requirements of your other components.

Last edited:
@Edhawk Well, I don't want an expensive card, it's a home computer. I don't work on it every day, but it happens. And I don't want an electricity glutton. Currently, I just favor the RX 5700 without the XT. Unfortunately used.

The RX5700 GPU is on a par with the RX6600, if you can get one for a reasonable price it would be a good choice. But you may end up paying more for a second-hand RX5700 than a new RX6600.

I just looked. You can get the RX 5700 for a little more than 1/2 the price of a used RX 6600 XT. The only problem is finding a good copy. Because there is no warranty anymore and if it were to break, it would be annoying. The PowerColor RX 5700 Red Devil is good because it's quiet. Power consumption under load 176W on a 4K monitor. It looks OK.

Back