Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
HD 4600
My build:

Mobo: Z97N - Wifi Gigabyte, version f5 bios installed
RAM: Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
Powersupply : Corsair CSM 450W Semi Modular 80+ Gold Power Supply
Cooler:
Corsair Hydro Series H80i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Refurbished
CPU: I
ntel Core i7 4790 3.60GHz Socket 1150 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Symptoms/Fault:

Installed (successfully; worked for 2 minutes before crash) GTX 650 TI. Computer froze after about 1-2 minutes on the desktop.

Following this I turned off the computer. Turned it back on and smelt burning.
Immediately disconnected and turned everything off. All external cables were removed (DVI cable/keyboard/audio interface/IEC cable etc), GPU was removed too.

Turned computer back on with only the IEC cable in (no DVI cable/no keyboard etc), smelt burning AGAIN. Turned it off immediately again, unplugged everything as before and left it for 20 minutes.

Came back to it, turned it all back on again; result was a continuous boot loop, the boot doesn't get as far as showing anything on a screen, literally 5 seconds on/off - cannot smell anything burning any longer.
Note the bootloop also doesn't get as far as showing a light on the cooler (on top of the CPU placement on the mobo)

Not 100% sure of the source of the smell; there isn't any obvious sign of burning or blackened marks anywhere.

Here's what I've done/ruled out so far:

Ordered and installed new PSU (I assumed a capacitor burst in the PSU), this made no difference so I'm currently in the process of returning this new PSU.

My thoughts? Perhaps the mobo/cpu fried ... surely that's all what's left for troubleshooting to rule out?
Currently considering ordering a new mobo to see if this makes a difference... if not I can just return it like I am currently doing with the PSU.

Does anyone have any advice of how to proceed in my troubleshooting process? Certain things I could try etc, or thoughts of what the source of the smell might be.

N.B, is it a silly idea for me to rule out it being a software problem? I've ruled it out in my mind because something was physically burning... hence I'm pretty sure something now isn't working etc.

Hope someone can help... My build was working so well before I tampered with it to install the darn GPU !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back