Contribute
Register

Building your hackintosh in a G5 case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I get that "red" goes to "red and such and the associated voltages, but I'm just confused as to why there are multiple wires "exiting" the molex and what kind of molex connector that is. Makes no sense to me, unless they're using multiple molex connectors?

Regardless, I think I'm going to buy a fan controller for all of these guys. I want to maintain the proper airflow for the "purist" look I'm going for. A fan controller would allow me to adjust it manually. I don't mind the noise. I own a G4 Tower. :lol:

Is not exactly out. The cables are continue to another molex. As you can see they are 2 or 3 molex connectors on a row.
So it means one series of cables coming in and another set of cables coming out to the next molex.

Just curious, I've got a gutted G5 case and have the original fans in a box somewhere. The novelty wore off for me but I don't feel right sending it to be recycled. Is there any interest in a case with fans?

It's up to you. They are capable to blow out a big amount of air but they are too noisy at maximum speed.
If you install them with a fan speed control it should be perfect. You can connect them on 5 volts, but if you will need more power it will not be available.

I'm probably going to go with a Fan Controller. That way I can modulate (albeit manually) the amount of voltage that goes to the fans, depending on the demand I need from them. That way I don't have to settle for 5, 7, or 12 v permanently.

Plus, I like the look of the original fans and how they fit AND I like the challenge of trying to make my Hackintosh look as "true" to the original G5. Like I said, I have an old G4 (which still works insanely well) that I use for my Classic computing. It's fans are pretty noisy too and it doesn't bother me.

Thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

boomzilla said:
Just curious, I've got a gutted G5 case and have the original fans in a box somewhere. The novelty wore off for me but I don't feel right sending it to be recycled. Is there any interest in a case with fans?

I would certainly use it, boomy!

boomzilla said:

Yes, I would be interested!

I too have all the original parts of a g5 in a box since i just finished my Hack Pro :D . if anybody is interested let me know will post pics if needed

Hi guys! I bought a G5 case last week and I'm preparing it. I was hoping you guys could help me with a few questions :D

1. The case I bought only came with one set of HDD screws. I guess the seller forgot to remove the other set from their HDD when they removed it to prepare for sale. :banghead: Has anyone found a good substitute? I read somewhere that some screws can cause a lot of vibration.

2. Whats the best way to remove the HDD caddy? I'm trying to take out the old HD cables since I'll be using new ones. I don't have to remove the whole top shelf right?

3. Regarding the HDD fans, do most people use the existing ones? I'm having difficulty removing these as well. There is so little space up there!! Any recommendations for quiet case fans?

4. I am going to place my PSU on the bottom of the case as the G5 I bought did not come with the original PSU. I've read some people attach theirs using heavy duty velcro..is this a good option? any other ways to do this in a G5? I'm looking at the Seasonic x650 but I'm open to any other recommendations

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back