Contribute
Register

[BUILDING] The HaswellRise mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have anymore my hack, but yes, I was using the iGPU from small i3-3225
No problems with the graphics (watching movies, creating in iMovie, etc.)

(Just one or two freeze, every month or so, which was not big deal for me.)

Update: Up and running

So, this is where I stand right now:
IMG_5212.jpg

I have added a bluetooth adapter which works perfectly (taken from an old MacBook), dual fans in the front and everything works fine.

This is the front side (I decided not to cut anything, at least not yet).
IMG_5211.JPG

You'll notice that there's one thing missing, the PSU. Unfortunately it's not here yet, the other PSU I had doesn't fit and I have ordered a 100w part which is running late. So, I'm using my old 150w PSU (which can't be seen here) for now. BTW, the display flickering issues I had were due to the lack of power. I was temporarily using a 75w adapter which wasn't enough. When I switched to the 150w part everything was smooth again. I hope the 100w PSU will be also enough.

On a sidenote, I'm not really happy with the overall performance. I was aiming for an all-around system, but the lack of the dGPU kind of makes my build an "oversized NUC". Yes, the CPU is much better than the mobile parts used in the NUCs (Geekbench 2 32bit score is 10.400 while the best NUCs score 6.000-ish), thermals are excellent compared to a NUC (maximum 60 degrees temp during stress test and my outside temp now is 30!), but still, the GPU is far from what I wanted. However, I'm keeping this system as it is until I can use maybe an Iris Pro socketed CPU in the next gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back