Graphics
MSI GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This isnt so much a buying question, but tomorrow I am going to start building my computer and I will have to build it off of a plastic table. What can I put over the table to make it a better surface to build on/conduct less electricity? Some guys I know told me yoga mats or wooden planks work, what do you guys think?

Well I am asking since plastic is a bad surface to build a computer on what could i put on top of or over the table to help the situation. Foam might be a good idea didn't think of that.

Hello maaxk,

I was mislead into opening this topic because the title is misleading, I was expecting something related to Microsoft's recently announced Surface tablet! :p

Regardless, you can use any surface. Make sure you're not standing on carpet and/or wearing socks as the static generated from friction will cause an electrostatic discharge when you come in contact with the components, potentially damaging them.

I recommend that the first thing to do once you open the case (and before touching components) is to touch metal on the chassis to discharge any build up.

If you're worried then you could buy an antistatic wrist strap. The strap goes around your wrist (obviously) and connects to metal (e.g. on the chassis). This will ground you and prevent the potential of a buildup: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_wrist_strap

maaxk said:
This isnt so much a buying question, but tomorrow I am going to start building my computer and I will have to build it off of a plastic table. What can I put over the table to make it a better surface to build on/conduct less electricity? Some guys I know told me yoga mats or wooden planks work, what do you guys think?
*Ideally*, you want an anti-static mat and wrist strap, grounded to the mat, then connected to your wall outlet's ground pin.
http://www.esdproduct.com/esd_mat_kits.php

But for one time use, a wooden surface will be fine.

Doing it on a carpeted floor is probably the worst.

If you don't have an anti-static mat, you can install your PSU, plug the AC cord to the wall, and that will ground everything. (of course, don't work with the power switched on.) Touch the metal case to discharge any static buildup on yourself.

Don't wear silk boxers. They generate lots of static electricity. :mrgreen:

wooden planks will work but if it is hot and dry there u could go just on the plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back