Contribute
Register

Building first Hackintosh, need guidance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH-Clover
CPU
i5-3570
Graphics
HD 4000 + GTX 1050 Ti
Hi everyone. I've got a G5 Power Mac and as I'm sure most of you might guess it's well on its way to becoming obsolete. Most new software or even new software versions don't support it (I can't run the latest Firefox, for instance, because I can't run OS 10.6 or better, and the newest version of Flash won't run either), web video is getting choppier and choppier as time goes on and they use new codecs/higher resolution, etc. So it's time to upgrade.

I really like the expandability of a tower, but money's tight and I can't afford a Mac Pro - and the last "update" was a slap in the face, anyway. So what I'm looking to do, basically, is a two-stage thing: build the cheapest minimal-hassle Hackintosh I can right now, as a stopgap, but in such a way that I can save/reuse as many parts as possible as I upgrade (I'm guessing this is going to be case, power, drives, and *maybe* RAM). And that means starting with full size ATX, so the budget builds I've seen using mini cases aren't going to work.

As far as what I want to use this computer for: primarily web browsing and listening to music, but also occasionally working with large Photoshop projects, writing music, converting video, and playing games. So I'm going to want as much power as I can reasonably get, eventually. The stopgap will probably use integrated sound and graphics and Sandy Bridge hardware, I'm guessing, and the upgrade would use Ivy Bridge and include a graphics card and some kind of dedicated sound hardware (right now I'm using an E-MU 0202, which I understand doesn't work with Lion). I'll want at least 3 powered USB jacks.

Problem is, I haven't been into PC hardware for 20 years. Apple's been doing all the work for me, right? So I'm not technologically averse, far from it, but I only have a fuzzy consumer-level understanding about modern parts and technologies, and I don't even know where to start researching first - "I don't know what I don't know", so to speak.

So here's what I'm hoping to get from you guys:

- First, are there any guides or references I ought to read ASAP to get a handle on this stuff? I don't mind RTFM, but right now I'm still wrestling with the problem space, y'know?

- Are there existing verified-good builds for a cheap-as-hell full tower? I tried looking through the user builds section, but none of those threads are labeled in a way that means anything to me right now. And if so, is there something I'd want to change when building them, such as getting a beefier power supply or switching to a motherboard that handles a newer RAM spec?

- If not, then I'm going to have to compile a parts list by myself (or with your help). What do I need to know about motherboards and CPUs to make a good purchase decision? How are they differentiated? What important features or incompatibilities do I need to keep an eye out for? Should I assume that a mobo that works with Sandy Bridge chips won't work with Ivy Bridge chips, or is there a way to bridge that gap (pun not intended) - and if there is, will that hardware cause me other potential headaches that I need to be aware of before I decide to go down that path?

- What have I not asked that I should?

Well in this case its RTFF but here is some quick tips but I wont go into detail since thats what the forum is for.

1) Get a Gigabyte Motherboard, best support and there are some cheep ones.

2) Get a z77 motherboard. You can go either Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge chips for them. I believe you can get cheeper lower powered i3 Sandy Bridge chips now but Ivy Bridge ones don't come out till later. Oh and make sure to check that audio/ethernet are supported on the forum here. Pro tip: if the audio is VIA it wont work.

3) Just start browsing newegg and start comparing specs on motherboard/cpus/ram and in no time you will start seeing the differences

4) Finally there are no real sound cards that you can buy that support multichannel out. But the built in audio on most motherboards are multichannel and work great.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back