Contribute
Register

Building A Powerful Dual-Boot Hackintosh/PC? Advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z270-AR
CPU
Intel i7 6700 Sky Lake Processor
Graphics
ROG STRIX-GTX 1070-8G Gaming
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello everyone,

I work professionally in video production, as a video editor, sound mixer, and composer. As a recent graduate I am starting to work on larger projects, including feature length films and promotional documentaries; I'm finding that my current PC laptop is obviously not fast enough or reliable enough for me to render and produce content quickly for clients. I prefer the Mac workflow and OS but I also have some projects that I'm currently editing on a PC. I've found that transferring projects from PC to Mac and vice versa tends to create problems with the Adobe software I'm using and I'd like to have the option to work in a PC or Mac environment by using Boot Camp or a similar utility to change the operating system on start up. This will mainly function for 4K video editing and extensive sound editing (but I'm also a gamer which is another reason I want to build a dual-boot machine).

It's important for me to note that I have never built a computer before, so I am hoping someone experienced will be kind enough to give me some guidance on selecting the parts that meet my needs. I have read the Buyer's Guide but is anyone here knowledgeable enough to give me some suggestions on the compatibility of the parts I'll need?

In summary, I'm hoping to build a very powerful machine that can greatly speed up workflow for my business, reduce my turn around time for clients, and help me take on more projects per year by eliminating slow render times and under powered performance.

Here's what I'm hoping to build:

-Dual Boot CustoMac capable of booting Mac OS Sierra and Windows 10
-Capable of editing 4K video or multi-camera 1080p video in real-time, without lag
-I would like to be able to use a dual monitor display but only one of my monitors is a 4K monitor
-As much RAM as possible, as I work with Adobe After Effects which is very RAM intensive. I also need to be able to run Premiere and After Effects at the same time, sometimes even Adobe Audition. 64 GB?
-I need LOTS of storage, since this will essentially be two computers. I work with very large video files and I'll be installing numerous softwares on both operating systems. I use external drives obviously, but I would like to avoid the nuisance of running out of space on my machine regularly.
-It doesn't have to be dead silent but I'd prefer it run quiet.
-I need plenty of USB ports for portable hard drives,
-1-2 Thunderbolt ports for when I eventually buy an external Audio Interface.

And in case it matters in terms of compatibility, the software I'll use the most is the Adobe Creative Cloud, and Logic Pro X.

Is anyone able to give me some advice on selecting compatible parts? Is there anything else worth me mentioning? Is a build like this possible on Mac OS Sierra?

Thank you to anyone who gives a newbie like me some advice here. I appreciate it.

Here's a Z270 and I7-7700K system that is similar to what you'd want. You can of course get 64GB of ram and a better Nvidia card like a GTX 1070 if you want to.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...i7-7700k-4-2ghz-geforce-gtx-1060-32gb.221392/

Here's one possible quiet ATX case that you could fit everything into. There are many more options like this. You may want the Define R5 version if you will have a lot of HDDs for storage.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352066&cm_re=quiet_ATX_PC_case-_-11-352-066-_-Product

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back