i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I currently have an old desktop running Mavericks (recently updated). Am looking to build a new machine with a view to get some photo-video work done (will be suing FCP and Photoshop). Am in the process of buying some new hardware.

I already purchased a new CoolerMaster Cabinet and a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Motherboard. Next up on the list are a Graphics Card and a CPU. Could anyone recommend something that will install fine, get the above jobs done and not break my bank? Looking to get the best suggestions so I don't end buying something incompatible.

Edit: I am looking at the Intel Core i5-4430 Processor 6M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz 4th Generation CPU, will this work?

Thanks,
Brainstormer!

Hi,

I currently have an old desktop running Mavericks (recently updated). Am looking to build a new machine with a view to get some photo-video work done (will be suing FCP and Photoshop). Am in the process of buying some new hardware.

I already purchased a new CoolerMaster Cabinet and a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Motherboard. Next up on the list are a Graphics Card and a CPU. Could anyone recommend something that will install fine, get the above jobs done and not break my bank? Looking to get the best suggestions so I don't end buying something incompatible.

Edit: I am looking at the Intel Core i5-4430 Processor 6M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz 4th Generation CPU, will this work?

Thanks,
Brainstormer!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/92952-list-confirmed-radeon-hd-7xxx-series-10-8-3-a-21.html

I really like this thread - it starts off with 7xxx series Radeon/ATI/AMD cards, then as you go through it (check dates closer to October this year) R9 280X cards which work OOB (Out of the box - no hacking at all required) are listed.

For the software you are planning on using, Radeon cards work really well, and a nice thing about that is theyre at least 1/2 the price of NVIDIA (or even less than 1/2 the price)

FCPX specifications state for GPU's: GPU that supports OpenCL. Radeon does very well in this category

Alot of people using their computer for video editing and photoshop go with the 4930K +X79 mobo, but thats up to you, for editing video you need as much as you can afford. 4930K at MicroCenter is $530, 4770K is $280. A great X79 mobo is ASUS X79 Deluxe $349 Amazon and Newegg. 4930K versus 4770K faster render times, + other benefits Im not all that technically aware of, I just know what Ive heard over and over - 4930 is more for work stations, 4770K high end consumer, I suppose maybe it could be analogized Professional workstation (4930K) versus high end consumer (4770K). 6 cores versus 4. Im going with 4930K and X79 for the same reason as your build (FCPX, Motion 5, Compressor 4, maybe one day Photoshop as well) :)

@ATB:

Thanks for your detailed suggestions. I already have the Mobo (a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC). It's a matter of getting a compatible processor now. Your suggestion on the 4930K has got me thinking again :)

As for the processor, am going to take a look at the thread you mentioned, hope I am able to pick one out!

OK, so I went ahead and ordered the Intel i7-4770K Haswell Processor. I have noticed it's a compatible processor with the Mobo (Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC) for a Hack.

I am going to keep a new graphics processor on hold for now since I have already exceeded my budget. One quick question- Will my old Graphics Card, an nVidia GeForce 8500GT 512MB, work with this? Of course I will be updating the card a bit down the line, but just for now, will this card be compatible?

Thanks,
BS

not sure, wouldnt want to misinform you, hopefully someone who does know will post a response

nice cpu btw! that bad boy is FAST!

Well, anyone else have any ideas about the Graphics Card compatibility?

Check out this link, its the best Ive come across for GPU's. Its short and to the point, very informative. again, its the best Ive come across.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4613/11/review-gpgpu-performance-of-modern-graphics-cards-conclusion

theres 12 pages, the link starts with the last page (conclusion). it tests and compares nVidia, ATI/Radeon, and just the CPU by itself:

here's a few of the subjects covered/tested/benchmarked

-Photo editing
-Video encoding
-Video editing
-Hardware.Info TV (they edit 1/2hr of video which includes at least four video streams, each featuring various things such as color correction (GPU accelerated), titels, transitions and other common effects.)
-3D rendering and decrypting passwords
-Scientific algorithms

Great link, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back