Contribute
Register

building a hackintosh comparable to Mac Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
agilluk said:
magestrate said:
power supply
agilluk said:
OCZ Z-SERIES 850W 80+ Gold Certified
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=50802 ... omoid=1377
Thanks Magestrate. Ive used this powersupply in a very powerful windows build for a friend, and I thought it was fantastic.

Magestrate - whats your experience so far with your build, are you happy with it, anything you would change or recommend. Are you able to utilize all your video card functions(eyefinity, multiple screens etc)? And how would you think it compares to apples standard ATI 5870 they install in their mac pros?

hardmantosh said:
Yes its true you can boot from installer partition and install Lion to a fresh partition or drive......

Thanks harmantosh. Im gonna have to search more into this! Seems like the way i would want to go.

Also has anyone successfully got any 6970 cards functioning properly on their hackintosh, i looked through the graphics card database and didn't see it listed so I'm assuming not.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.ph ... d_Database

my card works great in every respect... love it

edbetz said:
I'm using a different case, and I've looked at the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus (it seems tp perform really for the money) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G1 ... PDKIKX0DER
I use the hyper 212 plus and it tops out about 55 under full load on stock clock speeds. I haven't tried overclocking yet because I haven't had the need for it yet.

magestrate said:
I believe he was asking about the 6970, not the 6870...

Morshu said:
edbetz said:
I'm using a different case, and I've looked at the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus (it seems tp perform really for the money) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G1 ... PDKIKX0DER
I use the hyper 212 plus and it tops out about 55 under full load on stock clock speeds. I haven't tried overclocking yet because I haven't had the need for it yet.

magestrate said:
I believe he was asking about the 6970, not the 6870...

Agilluk asked me specifically in a quote about my experience with my video card if it compares to apples standard ATI 5870 they install in their mac pros? so i answered ....then Agilluk asked if anyone had expereriance with 6970 which i have no idea... i hope this helps you o_O

magestrate said:
Agilluk asked me specifically in a quote about my experience with my video card if it compares to apples standard ATI 5870 they install in their mac pros? so i answered ....then Agilluk asked if anyone had expereriance with 6970 which i have no idea... i hope this helps you o_O
Sorry about that, I misunderstood.

Once again thanks alot fellas. Based on your recommendations and more further reading and research I came up with this parts list... This may change again lol

Updated Parts list

UH10LS20 LG BluRay Burner

OCZ Z-SERIES 1000W 80+ Gold Certified 24PIN ATX 83A 12V Afc Modular Power Supply W/ 135mm Fan

$30.00 CAD Mail in Rebate for this item
Yes $146.70

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Yes $64.69

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

Yes $77.69

Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

Yes $159.69

Lian Li PC-A70F Black Aluminum E-ATX Full Tower Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 10X3.5INT No PS USB Audio 1394

Yes $179.22

Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB

Yes $317.44

XFX Radeon HD 6870 Dual Fan 900MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI 2x Mini Display Port PCI-E Video Card

Yes $199.42

Sub Total: $1,144.85

Let me know what you guys think. Also im located in BC Canada, and im wondering if you guys know any places where I can find some great prices online. I do have an Washington state address also so I can ship there too. So any american/ canadian sites would be great.

So far I know of, and have used:

- ncix.com
- directcanada.com
- tigerdirect.ca/com
- newegg.ca/com
- compusa.com
- amazon.com/ca(.ca Amazon sucks)

So if you guys have any recommendations please do share. Once again thanks soo much for all your guys help and info.

OH before I forget, Who recommends the Lion USB install method vs the regular install snow leopard then upgrade to lion? thanks

agilluk said:
Once again thanks alot fellas. Based on your recommendations and more further reading and research I came up with this parts list... This may change again lol

Updated Parts list

UH10LS20 LG BluRay Burner

OCZ Z-SERIES 1000W 80+ Gold Certified 24PIN ATX 83A 12V Afc Modular Power Supply W/ 135mm Fan

$30.00 CAD Mail in Rebate for this item
Yes $146.70

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Yes $64.69

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

Yes $77.69

Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

Yes $159.69

Lian Li PC-A70F Black Aluminum E-ATX Full Tower Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 10X3.5INT No PS USB Audio 1394

Yes $179.22

Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB

Yes $317.44

XFX Radeon HD 6870 Dual Fan 900MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI 2x Mini Display Port PCI-E Video Card

Yes $199.42

Sub Total: $1,144.85

Let me know what you guys think. Also im located in BC Canada, and im wondering if you guys know any places where I can find some great prices online. I do have an Washington state address also so I can ship there too. So any american/ canadian sites would be great.

So far I know of, and have used:

- ncix.com
- directcanada.com
- tigerdirect.ca/com
- newegg.ca/com
- compusa.com
- amazon.com/ca(.ca Amazon sucks)

So if you guys have any recommendations please do share. Once again thanks soo much for all your guys help and info.

OH before I forget, Who recommends the Lion USB install method vs the regular install snow leopard then upgrade to lion? thanks

pretty sweet :headbang:

magestrate said:
power supply :thumbup:

Magestrate I notice you use an ASUS mb for your hackintosh, I have always loved ASUS mb for their stability. I cant seem to find the dsdt for your MB on the dsdt database on tonymac .. can you tell me where I can get the right DSDT for Asus mb ... was it hard to get everything working on a ASUS mb?

now the xfx radeon 6870 black edition dual fan V2 is suppose to work oob. Does anyone who used this gpu know what the exact model number is. I see so many options that have dual fan black edition but none that highlight they're v2. any help would be appreciated. Or do you know of a similar card that works ooh in the 6870 series+ or higher.

Cheers
Amit

zenmac said:
magestrate said:
power supply :thumbup:

Magestrate I notice you use an ASUS mb for your hackintosh, I have always loved ASUS mb for their stability. I cant seem to find the dsdt for your MB on the dsdt database on tonymac .. can you tell me where I can get the right DSDT for Asus mb ... was it hard to get everything working on a ASUS mb?

i love ASUS i had no problems at all (so far knock on wood) ..."no KP ever!!!! " i do not use a DSDT i don't like em!! i simply used easybeast .. from what i read however DSDT are used mainly for sleep mode... currently I'm in the process of modding an original bluetooth module from a macbook pro to work with my MOD and from what i read it will help in the sleep process as well....see pic

IMG_1000000367.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1000000367.jpg
    IMG_1000000367.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 87
agilluk said:
now the xfx radeon 6870 black edition dual fan V2 is suppose to work oob. Does anyone who used this gpu know what the exact model number is. I see so many options that have dual fan black edition but none that highlight they're v2. any help would be appreciated. Or do you know of a similar card that works ooh in the 6870 series+ or higher.

Cheers
Amit

i didn't work with this gpu in particular, i have the sapphire 6870 . i can say if your doing a fresh install with this series card with snow leopard 10.6.3 your not going to see anything.... its supported natively starting in 10.6.8...i don't know your situation but....what i did so i didn't have to play around with settings and tweaking till i turned blue in the face, i went out and bought a very cheap card evga 9500gt that works oob in 10.6.3 . I installed mac ox 10.6.3 and when i updated to 10.6.8 shut down removed it and replaced with the 6870...worked flawlessly every time... full resolution and all... i think the ati 6870 series are the same i don't think it matters who makes it.. just make sure you have graphicsenabler yes....in com.apple.boot.plist hope this helps you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back