Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of building the 2011 CustoMac, the motherboard listed is the Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 but I can't find any info on a DSDT for this board or anyone who has done a similar build in the user builds forum.

Does this board have OOB compatibility in mountain lion?

Any links/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide 2012

Bump

Please forgive the newbie question: I've been happily managing various updates (Leopard, SL and Lion) on my trusty GA-P35-DS3L and Core2Duo, using an older DSDT and the newest versions of MB from this wonderful blog and support community. Now I'd like to update my motherboard, Ivy Bridge and Mountain Lion using the new CustoMac recommendations.
Does anyone have a fairly bullet-proof way to upgrade without reformatting and restoring all the data on my hard drive? In other words, can I install the new motherboard, and chip, run the new Multibeast on my current install, and then upgrade to Mountain Lion per the instructions on the upgrade thread?
Or am I better off building the system from scratch, installing ML, and then moving all my applications over? I'd love a way to swap the hardware and have it "just work," using Multibeast.
Thanks in advance!

I don't have access to a Mac or another Hackintosh on which to download Mountain Lion.
Can I install Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge Customac Pro Build? Can Snow Leopard run on it ?
Sorry for my poor english and thanks for help!

Great work and I am excited to try building my first CustoMac.

I apologize in advance for this (fail) question ... I noticed that the Budget Build does not include a video card (as expected) since the 3rd gen i7 has integrated graphics. I recall reading somewhere on this site that a discrete video card is needed to install OS X Snow Leopard (which is a prerequisite to Mountain Lion). If this is true, then do you have a "cheap" video card recommendation as it would probably be a throw away once Mountain Lion is installed and the integrated graphics is being used.

Great work and I am excited to try building my first CustoMac.

I apologize in advance for this (fail) question ... I noticed that the Budget Build does not include a video card (as expected) since the 3rd gen i7 has integrated graphics. I recall reading somewhere on this site that a discrete video card is needed to install OS X Snow Leopard (which is a prerequisite to Mountain Lion). If this is true, then do you have a "cheap" video card recommendation as it would probably be a throw away once Mountain Lion is installed and the integrated graphics is being used.

Why don't you give it a try? Technically it should work, but you end up with 1024x768 resolution and no acceleration. I don't know if anyone has tried this, as most of us have access to another rig with OS X on it. Worst case you end up getting a second hand card off eBay or something if it doesn't work.

Hello

Thanks for this post. I guess it's going to be a bible for many of us who will be building a hackintosh for the first time. i have a question, are the m-ATX boards less compatible from an OOB point of view than the ATX ones? I have been hovering over the multiple posts in the forum and this is the feeling I got.

Hello

Thanks for this post. I guest it's going to be a bible for many of us who will be building a hackintosh for the first time. i have a question, are the m-ATX boards less compatible from an OOB point of view than the ATX ones? I have been hovering over the multiple posts in the forum and this is the feeling I got.

No, not as such. The issue is that several of Gigabyte's current motherboards use VIA audio and we're simply not recommending those boards as you have to use VooDoo HDA or an external audio solution of some kind to get sound. That's really it, but Gigabyte has some decent B75 boards if you're not looking at overclockning that has Realtek audio.

Good job! I notice AMD GPU's are not in this list

@alex_tzardea: AMD Radeon HD 6780 1024 MB is working OoB here with ML.

have fun

Hi..will Point of View GeForce GTS 250 1 GB work on Z77X-UD5H or Z77-DS3H..?

I would like to use GTS 250 rather than buying the new GTX 550 Ti if the GTS 250 works..

Thank You very much...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back