Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

I'm excited to say that I'll be joining the osx86 community soon. Over the past few days I've been trying to put together a system, reading through blog entries and forum posts from users who have been kind enough to share their experiences. In the end I arrived at the following build:

Core i5 I5-750 8 MB
Corsair XMS3 2 x 4 GB
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 (rev. 1.0)
MSI R5770 Hawk

Low noise is a consideration for me. The graphics card is selected because it should be easy to replace the fans on it with a passive cooler. I plan to fit everything in a Antec Solo case with a Seasonic X-400 power supply.

Are there any risky components that I should consider swapping? I hope to run two monitors of the graphics card, and I'm not sure if that will be a problem on the MSI.

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

Anders

As usual, I will suggest the Spinpoint F3 series for your hard drives. Other than that note, your sanity may remain intact.

Tom

andersjo said:
Hello,

I'm excited to say that I'll be joining the osx86 community soon. Over the past few days I've been trying to put together a system, reading through blog entries and forum posts from users who have been kind enough to share their experiences. In the end I arrived at the following build:

Core i5 I5-750 8 MB
Corsair XMS3 2 x 4 GB
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 (rev. 1.0)
MSI R5770 Hawk

Low noise is a consideration for me. The graphics card is selected because it should be easy to replace the fans on it with a passive cooler. I plan to fit everything in a Antec Solo case with a Seasonic X-400 power supply.

Are there any risky components that I should consider swapping? I hope to run two monitors of the graphics card, and I'm not sure if that will be a problem on the MSI.

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

Anders
I'd replace the RAM... Love the G.Skill Eco 1600@CL7...

Definitely up your PSU... 400W is too tight.
I wouldn't take anything less than a Corsair VX450W (which is effectively a 500W+) or an Antec EA-500W (it's bundled with the Sonata III and Designer 500).
BTW, both of these PSUs are made by Seasonic.

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

@tinkerC: I have a relatively quiet hard drive lying around, which I'll try first. But the recommendation is definitely noted if the old one happens to contribute to much to the noise level.

@lnxMac: I'll swap the RAM as suggested. They are quite a bit faster in the timings than the ones I had picked out. Interesting point about the power supplies. I know it's going to be a low margin if I go with a 400W. On the other hand, I'm really intrigued about the complete absence of a fan in the X-400.

Thanks for the comments. It's much appreciated.

Anders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back