Contribute
Register

Build Look Over home server !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks more like a gamer than a server to me! :mrgreen:
Definitely! Serious overkill in so many ways for a server of any kind.

Plus, that CPU cooler is probably to big. If you turn i 90° and put the fan so it blows the air through the cooler and onto the back of the graphics card (hardly the best), it might fit. But put the "normal" way (blowing out the back) it won't. It will interfere with the graphics card.

Not sure what you want to use the server for, but I would probably use:
* i3-3225
* H77N rather than Z77N
* Less RAM (depending on what you will run, 4 or at most 8 GB)
* No graphics card (use the HD4000 in the i3-3225)
* A max 300 W PSU, maybe even a 150 - 200 W pico-PSU.
* A smaller case
* No SSD

...which pretty much just leaves the harddrive from your list. Oops. :oops:

What will you be serving?

Hi All,

Without looking to hijack this thread, I certainly have a couple of questions about a potential home server.

I've just finished the build on my i7 and with the change of technology around the house, namely the move of my iMac which is my current t*****t TV show downloader and Plex Media Server away from my router, although the NAS is still in place at the moment.

I am looking at a headless Home Server that will be a file share, iTunes server, Time Machine, Plex Media Server, et al and was initially looking at Ubuntu but have seen that it has troubles with iTunes and Time Machine.
So thought about a Hackintosh Server, especially as I have an iTunes voucher from christmas that will be helpful for the server upgrade.

My question is, considering I would want to keep it as cheap as possible, would you go Hackintosh over Open Source?

If so, what build would you go for?

Thanks guys & gals,

Last edited by a moderator:
For a server...I'm presuming you are going to leave it on 24/7. I'd consider an 80 Plug GOLD or PLATINUM efficiency power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back