Contribute
Register

[Build log] Getting past Sapphire rx580 Nitro+ issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97M plus
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580 • HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Its been a month now since I have started creating my workstation. So far everything else in my system has been largely plug in and play without much trouble the only thing left to do is get my Sapphire rx580 Nitro+ running.

It should be noted this card was purchased second hand on ebay, (I knew the risks). Part of my task is to validate that this card actually works which is tricky on a customac build. I have been working on using a backup linux os for recovery and also to validate that the card works. The goal of this build is to create 3D graphics and also to code personal projects.

Relevant info:
Smbios: iMac 14,2 (default from multibeast)
PSU: 650w
Manufacturer: Sapphire
HDMI is my only option

TLDR
Here are the results so far:

Scenario 1
Given I have No kexts
When I Boot
Then I get 60% through Apple progress bar booting then GPU stops making noise, fans stop and I get no signal.

Scenario 2
Given I have whatevergreen and lilu @latest. with igpu in bios set to pcie
When I Boot
Then I get 60% through Apple progress bar booting then GPU remains alive with a black screen

Scenario 3
Given I have multibeast Sierra and install whatevergreen and lilu @old_versions with igpu primary
When I Boot
Then I get a working Sierra
And my GPU works
And the display is bright
And Card is recognized as amd Pro 580
And performance is okay

Scenario 3 updated 16/01/2019, overall I'm happy that the card is functioning, but now I can do better. I want to move up to High Sierra. By the way I am taking an interactive approach. If I jump straight to my desired goal, I won't have learned anything.

I am very rusty and so you can count me as a partial newb in need of some help. I would be very grateful for any assistance but will use this regardless to track my results and hopefully help somebody in need. The rx580 appears to work for most people so I am trying to find the caveat.

Last edited:
@P1LGRIM None at all, I am just a little out of touch, I am a firm believer in the minimal viable solution. After reading a fair bit I have downloaded High Sierra tonight.

Update to HS 10.13.6
Edit config.plist via Clover Configurator
-Framebuffer = Orinoco
-injectATI = yes
-deinit = yes(May not be nessessary, but won’t hurt)
Remove Whatevergreen

Is FakeSMC.kext installed in your EFI partition? EFI>EFI>Clover>Kexts>Other>FakeSMC.kext

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 4.35.22 PM.pdf
    345 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Update to HS 10.13.6
Edit config.plist via Clover Configurator
-Framebuffer = Orinoco
-injectATI = yes
-deinit = yes(May not be nessessary, but won’t hurt)
Remove Whatevergreen

Is FakeSMC.kext installed in your EFI partition? EFI>EFI>Clover>Kexts>Other>FakeSMC.kext

Looks like I have not been able to download a full installer (not web installer) for High Sierra. I have a Mojave Unibeast which is up and running but sadly the installed OS hangs at around 75% - I need to check verbose. Anyway I still I want to try your approach in High Sierra.

Last edited:
You can read the link below about using your RX without Whatevergreen

I can confirm this method works on 10.13.6
-CSM is disabled in my BIOS, which was required for my HDMI ports to function
-I have not tested DVI
-HDMI works at 4K @ 60hz
-HDMI audio works
-Both DPs work w/audio

In the link it describes changing your ports count via Clover. I did NOT do this.
I did add radeonDeinit = yes in my config.plist. This may not be required on 10.13.6, but it does not cause issues with anything in regards to my system.

Read here for RX 580 pulse/nitro help (2x DP, 2x HDMI, 1x DVI)

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nitro-se-black-screen-on-hdmi-and-dvi.267078/

Partially I have solved my issues by installing Mojave- my card was recognised! - I have a fully working display (if a little high on the gamma), I don't have sound via hdmi though which is a pain but I will figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back