Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte LGA 1151 Z170
CPU
3.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 530
From reading this board, I would have expected that I might have a few minor difficulties installing Mac OSX on my new Hackintosh. I think you guys may have just been messing with me :D

It was only slightly more difficult than installing Mac OSX on supported hardware.

Here's my setup:

• Asus P8Z68-V PRO[/*:m:35taurk9]
  • Intel Core i5 2500K[/*:m:35taurk9]
  • 2 x 4 GB of GSKILL "Ripjaws" DDR3 RAM[/*:m:35taurk9]
  • Sapphire HD 5770[/*:m:35taurk9]
  • Sony Optiarc AD-7260S-0B DVD drive[/*:m:35taurk9]
  • Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ (1 TB)[/*:m:35taurk9]

Here's my procedure. It basically just follows Gordo74's excellent thread, with a few small modifications based on the specifics of my hardware.

Here are my steps:

1. Start with only 4GB of RAM installed[/*:m:35taurk9]
  2. Disable speed step turbo in the BIOS (no other changes made to the BIOS other than drive boot order)[/*:m:35taurk9]
  3. Boot from iBoot Legacy[/*:m:35taurk9]
  4. Put in Mac OSX CD (Wait a few seconds, press F5, select and boot from Mac OSX)[/*:m:35taurk9]
  5. Partition disk into two partitions
    [list:35taurk9]
  6. 900 GB Mac OSX Journaled[/*:m:35taurk9]
  7. 100 GB MS-DOS (for a planned Win7 install later)[/*:m:35taurk9]
[/*:m:35taurk9]
[*]Install with minimal options (to save on install time if things don't work, I omitted X11 and some other things)[/*:m:35taurk9]
[*]Reboot w/ iBoot Legacy[/*:m:35taurk9]
[*]Install 10.6.7 Combo Update (don't restart)[/*:m:35taurk9]
[*]Install Bridge Helper (don't restart)[/*:m:35taurk9]
[*]Install Multibeast options highlighted in Gordo's post with a couple modifications:
  • Use Easybeast instead of a custom DSDT.[/*:m:35taurk9]
  • Choose hnak's AppleIntelE1000e Ethernet instead of the one Gordo74 has selected[/*:m:35taurk9]
[/*:m:35taurk9]
[*]Shut down[/*:m:35taurk9]
[*]Install other 4 GB of ram (8 GB total)[/*:m:35taurk9]
[*]Close up case[/*:m:35taurk9]
[*]Reboot and reenable speed step turbo[/*:m:35taurk9]
[*]Install other stuff (X11, XCode, etc.)[/*:m:35taurk9][/list:eek::35taurk9]

I should note that, this entire time, I was using the video card (the HD 5770) rather than the integrated card (on the CPU die). My Cinebench scores are OpenGL: 36.25 and CPU: 4.6 (that seems low, right?).

Sound works. Networking works. USB3 appears to not work (as expected at this point).

I have to say; I'm quite pleased. I definitely expected more trouble getting everything working.

As you can probably tell, I'm a complete Noob here. So, while I'm hoping my guide/build log helps others, I'm also curious about further tweaking it. What other tests should I run? What things should I tweak? I'll obviously keep reading, but I just thought I'd solicit advice here, too.

Finally, I'd like to say a tremendous thanks to everyone who has contributed to this board. In particular, Gordo74's thread and the thread started by pcascio here were critical in getting things working for me.

Betelgeuse, congratulations and thanks for the props.

After reveiwing your build log and comparing it with mind, it sounds like we've both accomplished the same thing using similar, but different methods.

BTW, anybody gets the speedstep works and oh .. the sleep too?

Speedstepping and sleep works on Gigabyte boards. Great work OP, your CPU score is a tiny bit low. Simply up the multiplier. You didnt buy a K series chip to run stock :headbang:

Also, be prepared to bash your head against a wall when trying to setup dual boot and Windows 7 trying to take over the EFI partition currently held by the Chimera bootloader.

Gordo74 said:
Speedstepping and sleep works on Gigabyte boards. Great work OP, your CPU score is a tiny bit low. Simply up the multiplier. You didnt buy a K series chip to run stock :headbang:

Also, be prepared to bash your head against a wall when trying to setup dual boot and Windows 7 trying to take over the EFI partition currently held by the Chimera bootloader.

Nicely done! I had everything working last night too with this board... then I blew it with the iMac 10.6.7 update... I wasn't sure exactly what besides the kernel to install... so I basically installed everything... crash during boot, crash during boot with iBoot, crash during boot with Safe Mode...

Then I saw a post by alf saying to remove a few kexts so I tried that using MacDrive in Windows and still had the same issue on boot. So I'll be redoing the whole thing again tonight. No worries, all in good fun!

Do we need a modified DSDT or just a vanilla DSDT will work with this -- does anyone know? I know shutdown worked fine even without DSDT or MB installed.

Gordo74 said:

Speedstep & sleep don't seem to work on Asus yet :(

On the dual boot, I don't have problem with it. I've both OS in the same SSD drive in two different partition. I've Chimera as my main bootloader, I can choose which one I want to boot but it defaulted to SL.

mwparrish said:
Nicely done! I had everything working last night too with this board... then I blew it with the iMac 10.6.7 update... I wasn't sure exactly what besides the kernel to install... so I basically installed everything... crash during boot, crash during boot with iBoot, crash during boot with Safe Mode...

Then I saw a post by alf saying to remove a few kexts so I tried that using MacDrive in Windows and still had the same issue on boot. So I'll be redoing the whole thing again tonight. No worries, all in good fun!

Do we need a modified DSDT or just a vanilla DSDT will work with this -- does anyone know? I know shutdown worked fine even without DSDT or MB installed.

On iMac updater, I used Pacifist and just installed the libraries and the kernel .. Had a problem when I installed everything from the iMac update, it booted up correctly but problem was with some applications refused to work.

BTW, if you don't want to reinstall everything after you've successfully installed it once, you can user carbon copy cloner .. just create a small partition that either the same size as the main OS partition or probably just enough to hold the OS + initial applications. If the main OS failed and you couldn't revive it, just user CCC to copy back from the backup partition .. save a lot of time from installation headache. I do a frequent backup on mine ..

On DSDT, without it, we couldn't have speedstep and sleep working. That the only two that I couldn't get to work on my setup :x

wiraone said:
mwparrish said:

On iMac updater, I used Pacifist and just installed the libraries .. Had a problem when I installed everything from the iMac update, it booted up correctly but problem was with some applications refused to work.

BTW, if you don't want to reinstall everything after you've successfully installed it once, you can user carbon copy cloner .. just create a small partition that either the same size as the main OS partition or probably just enough to hold the OS + initial applications. If the main OS failed and you couldn't revive it, just user CCC to copy back from the backup partition .. save a lot of time from installation headache. I do a frequent backup on mine ..

On DSDT, without it, we couldn't have speedstep and sleep working. That the only two that I couldn't get to work on my setup :x

Yeah, I use CCC but hadn't yet. Was hoping to get things up and running before using it. Oh well.

I hate fiddling with the DSDT thing, it's my weak spot with all this. I don't care about sleep, never use it. I guess I'll extract it... are folks using the unedited or running it through DSDT auto-patcher? I'd rather skip the EasyBeast install...

Thanks everyone for the congratulations and thoughts/suggestions.

Yes, sleep is on the list for me, but is not a huge priority. I just tried sleep for the heck of it last night (even though I knew it probably wouldn't work). Not only did it not wake out of sleep, but the video card (I think) was in a funky state when I first reboot; things seem better after the second reboot.

I've just noticed that my front USB ports don't work on my case, but that's almost to be expected since I only thought a little bit about which one of the (many, many, many) USB headers to plug them into on the MB. I imagine I'll open the case up eventually and make some sort of change. Is there a recommendation for which headers to plug it into on this MB?

Thanks for the warning on the dual boot, Gordo74, although you have to understand that I don't believe any of you guys' warnings anymore. The install was way too easy. As I said, I think you guys are just messing with me :D

mwparrish: On the update, do you have any idea what caused the problem? Like I said, I had zero problems with the 10.6.7 Combo Update. I've actually since even run Software Update.

On the DSDT: I'm interested in fiddling with this, but I have no idea where to start. Despite my noobishness with the Hackintosh, I actually would feel OK messing around with that stuff. However, I have ZERO idea where to start; is there some sort of tutorial out there? How do people go about this?

i would suggest the an auto-patcher first. maybe it will bring some nice results without too much work.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=235523

you can find several guides, but not specifically for this board and i am not up to date which one would be best for you right now.

im interested in your testings, since my board will arrive soon. (hopefully) best of luck for you! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back