Contribute
Register

Build help, What to start with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

Finally decided to take the plunge and go for a build. Couple questions I have as I am in the planning phases. I used to do some cryptocurrency mining. (I know you guys probably all hate miners since they drove graphic card prices up. I wasn't huge into it though don't blame me.) Anyways Im done mining, I got some equipment and I am wondering what I can/should use to start my build and what I should start afresh. My goals are to create a pretty powerful machine that can handle 1080 video editing maybe 4k a little bit? Video editing is just in my free time though.

For motherboards I currently have the following boards available to me.
Asus Z170-A
Asus Prime Z270-A

Is one of these suitable or should I invest the 150 now and get a 300 series... I don't need the greatest and the best.

Processor
If I was to keep one of the previous boards I would probably use a
i7-6700K

However If I was upgrading Im thinking
i7-8700K

I looked at the i9 but I think the cost is more then I want to spend.

GPU
I got a couple different GPU's to choose from already purchased, The other ones will be sold to help cover the cost of this build....
EVGA 1080
Gigabyte 1080.
EVGA 1070TI

Other parts I think I can piece together as I go, Biggest thing is can I use one of my motherboards, If so which one... When it comes to GPU's what's my best bet.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Everyone,

Finally decided to take the plunge and go for a build. Couple questions I have as I am in the planning phases. I used to do some cryptocurrency mining. (I know you guys probably all hate miners since they drove graphic card prices up. I wasn't huge into it though don't blame me.) Anyways Im done mining, I got some equipment and I am wondering what I can/should use to start my build and what I should start afresh. My goals are to create a pretty powerful machine that can handle 1080 video editing maybe 4k a little bit? Video editing is just in my free time though.

For motherboards I currently have the following boards available to me.
Asus Z170-A
Asus Prime Z270-A

Is one of these suitable or should I invest the 150 now and get a 300 series... I don't need the greatest and the best.

Processor
If I was to keep one of the previous boards I would probably use a
i7-6700K

However If I was upgrading Im thinking
i7-8700K

I looked at the i9 but I think the cost is more then I want to spend.

GPU
I got a couple different GPU's to choose from already purchased, The other ones will be sold to help cover the cost of this build....
EVGA 1080
Gigabyte 1080.
EVGA 1070TI

Other parts I think I can piece together as I go, Biggest thing is can I use one of my motherboards, If so which one... When it comes to GPU's what's my best bet.

Thanks in advance!

(1) If you want the 8700K you will have to get a new 300 series motherboard. If you keep using the 6700K you can continue to use either of your existing motherboards.
(2) You can use any of your 3 GPUs with MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra 10.13.6, but not the latest Mojave due to the lack of Nvidia web drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back