Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone, first off just want to say this is an awesome resource and I'm really thankful you're all here to help me out.

I've put together a first draft for my build:

Here's the list of parts as well for convenience:
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Hard Drive: Western Digital RE4 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: OCZ Petrol 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB Video Card
Case: Antec DF-85 ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 950W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

I'd like some feedback about whether this build should work, what sort of quirks I might want to look out for, and just any general advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

Powe supply is overkill. 650W max for this. Change the optical drive to Sony Optiarc.

Overall the build is 100% compatible, but to save money, here is what I'd change.

SSD: Change to either an OCZ Vertex 4 or Crucial M4. The "Petrol" line is not very good at all.

PSU: Change to a good 650w power supply (Corsair, Antec, Seasonic) 950w is way overkill.

Mate94 said:
Powe supply is overkill. 650W max for this.
I read somewhere that that video card would need at least a 750W, and also that if you want to upgrade in the future it's best to leave some wiggle room with your power supply, that's why I was thinking 950W, is that still definitively overkill?

Mate94 said:
Change the optical drive to Sony Optiarc.
Okay, is it more reliable?

Gordo74 said:
SSD: Change to either an OCZ Vertex 4 or Crucial M4. The "Petrol" line is not very good at all.
Will do, thank you!

Thank you both so much for your quick and helpful replies

Otherwise you can get sleep issues.

Mate94 said:
Having an overkill power supply can lead to sleep issues?

calql8edkos said:
Mate94 said:
Powe supply is overkill. 650W max for this.
I read somewhere that that video card would need at least a 750W, and also that if you want to upgrade in the future it's best to leave some wiggle room with your power supply, that's why I was thinking 950W, is that still definitively overkill?

That is still definitely overkill. Over the past few years, hardware makers are working hard to get their components to produce LESS power. Anything nowadays that will power a GTX 580 will be good enough for an upgrade in the future.

As far as the 750w number, that may be for a dual processor, server board with many multiple components that your system will never see. I stick to my recommendation, a good 650w will be fine.

Mate94 said:
calql8edkos said:
Mate94 said:
Having an overkill power supply can lead to sleep issues?
No, the opt. drive.

Why does the optical drive dictate whether or not a computer would have sleep issues? I understand that it's a common thing, I was just curious as to why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back