Contribute
Register

Build Critique: mini-ITX for programming/gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I am planning to build my first ever Hackintosh, primary for programming (primarily iOS but will be learning some back-end) and some gaming (1080p).

My planned build is as follows:
CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($281.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($117.60 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING Video Card ($325.17 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair - ML120 75.0 CFM 120mm Fans ($32.99 @ Amazon)

The two SSDs are for OS X Sierra and Windows 10, separately. lfor WiFi & Bluetooth, I plan to follow this guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...dapter-handoff-unlock-with-watch-uefi.215895/)

Overall, how does it look? Any better parts I should use? Also, do you see any problems with this build/would any functionality (imessage, facetime, etc.) not work?

Last edited:
Did you end up building this Hack? I would love to know more. This is almost the exact machine I plan to build. I want to build in the node 202 and wondered if you encountered any issues with regards to the board?

I would go with a 550W PSU if I were you. You really don't want to push your PSU anywhere over 70% of it's limit - some fluctuations in voltages might occur over time and you risk damaging the rest of the hardware and it's really not worth cheaping out if it comes down to 20-30$. Most people don't think it's worth paying a premium price for a PSU, but it's more important than you might imagine.

Also, what if you decide to upgrade graphics somewhere down the line and the new GPU draws more power? You might end up looking at 90% of the power draw that PSU is capable of - a really bad idea, if you ask me.

Other than that it looks like a promising project! :)

I would go with a 550W PSU if I were you. You really don't want to push your PSU anywhere over 70% of it's limit - some fluctuations in voltages might occur over time and you risk damaging the rest of the hardware and it's really not worth cheaping out if it comes down to 20-30$. Most people don't think it's worth paying a premium price for a PSU, but it's more important than you might imagine.
The Node 202 case requires an SFX PSU to fit in the space provided. The next step up in wattage is 600W which looks to be 30 dollars more expensive at $120 retail. http://www.corsair.com/en-us/sf-ser...-plus-gold-certified-high-performance-sfx-psu I do agree that it may be a good idea to spend the 30 dollars extra. It really depends on how genkenzo uses this, especially for gaming. If it's serious AAA title gaming for hours at a time that maxes out the GTX 1060 then get the 600W. If it's occasional games a few times a week the 450W may be good enough since coding is the primary usage and reason for the build. That should not stress the PSU much at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back