Contribute
Register

Build Confirmation #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm being really creative and building Tony's "#5. Tomorrow's Consumer" from the http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2937 thread. Awesome thread by the way!!

What i'm wondering is if there is anyone out there that has put this rig together and if there is any info they can pass on. I have built a couple PC's (very new to installing OSX on them) so i'm pretty familiar with the nuts and bolts of building machines. Just wanted to know if there was any specific issues with this build I should watch out for. Especially in regards to cooling issues; has anyone added heatsinks or additional fans to help out in that area? Is extra cooling even necessary?? Its summer and I don't have AC in my house!!

Are there any alternative video cards, RAM options (considering going to 24GB, is that overkill?) or hard drive choices that might make more sense for working with Maya, After Effects and Final Cut in uncompressed. I'm looking to use 2 monitors and a HD LCD display (for video display). For 3 active video displays do I need 2 cards?? When i'm not doing creative work, I like to jump on steam and play games, so whatever video card solution is recommended, needs to be decent for gaming as well.

Lastly, these may seem like a couple of stupid questions... But, is it possible to boot back and forth between OSX and W7?? :oops: If so what is the best way to go about switching OS's. I know Mac has bootcamp, I don't really want to have both OS's running at the same time, unless someone out there can swear to me this machine will be fast enough to have FCP, AE and half the CS5 open and not bat an eye when I boot up W7 and play some graphics/CPU intensive FSP game. Anyways, I had planned to purchase a couple of the spinpoint F3's for this purpose. Hadn't planned on writing a this much. Thanks in advance!!

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz
G.SKILL NQ 12GB (6 x 2GB)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 (2x)
EVGA GeForce GTX 260
Sony Optiarc
D-Link DWA-556
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

cheech said:
I'm being really creative and building Tony's "#5. Tomorrow's Consumer" from the http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2937 thread. Awesome thread by the way!!

What i'm wondering is if there is anyone out there that has put this rig together and if there is any info they can pass on. I have built a couple PC's (very new to installing OSX on them) so i'm pretty familiar with the nuts and bolts of building machines. Just wanted to know if there was any specific issues with this build I should watch out for. Especially in regards to cooling issues; has anyone added heatsinks or additional fans to help out in that area? Is extra cooling even necessary?? Its summer and I don't have AC in my house!!

Are there any alternative video cards, RAM options (considering going to 24GB, is that overkill?) or hard drive choices that might make more sense for working with Maya, After Effects and Final Cut in uncompressed. I'm looking to use 2 monitors and a HD LCD display (for video display). For 3 active video displays do I need 2 cards?? When i'm not doing creative work, I like to jump on steam and play games, so whatever video card solution is recommended, needs to be decent for gaming as well.

Lastly, these may seem like a couple of stupid questions... But, is it possible to boot back and forth between OSX and W7?? :oops: If so what is the best way to go about switching OS's. I know Mac has bootcamp, I don't really want to have both OS's running at the same time, unless someone out there can swear to me this machine will be fast enough to have FCP, AE and half the CS5 open and not bat an eye when I boot up W7 and play some graphics/CPU intensive FSP game. Anyways, I had planned to purchase a couple of the spinpoint F3's for this purpose. Hadn't planned on writing a this much. Thanks in advance!!

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz
G.SKILL NQ 12GB (6 x 2GB)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 (2x)
EVGA GeForce GTX 260
Sony Optiarc
D-Link DWA-556
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
This build was created by a user and not by tonymac. To see tonymac's suggested build go to this post on his blog http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/06/building-customac-three-complete-pc.html

I agree that the PSU is overkill.

Cheech, I personally think that is a pretty great build, but I believe keeping your current Power Supply Would be a Great idea, With Computers, buy ahead. With a powersupply like that, with upgrades.. you will be able successfully keep it. Overhead never hurts.
:beachball: :beachball:

Thanks for all the advice and information! I'm feeling more confident about the build now and dropping down some hard earned cash on a machine.

Mackilroy said:
As far as cooling, it's a good idea if you want lower temperatures, but I have no extra cooling on my hack – it gets warm, but not too warm. Though my house has AC…

Lucky guy! Its 85 in my room right now, i'm expecting it to get hotter now that my machine is running.

tinkerC said:
There are guides for getting two Graphics cards installed:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=617
and non-DSDT: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=183349

Awesome! Thanks man!!

tinkerC said:
For the TonyMacX86 dual booting instructions, go to this link: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html

Again, thank you Tom :D

MrWarhawk said:
I believe keeping your current Power Supply Would be a Great idea, With Computers, buy ahead. With a powersupply like that, with upgrades.. you will be able successfully keep it. Overhead never hurts.

I'm very like minded in this area. I believe in getting the best machine you can get at the time (at the lowest price possible of course). I'm still working no a P4 that was built over 5yrs ago. At the time I decided to go with an all quality build, didn't skimp on anything; the only thing that has failed me was a recycled HD. I was especially glad I had more power than I needed for the build as I have upgraded my video card 3 times on this machine, each card more of a power whore than the previous.

Any After Effects or Maya guys out there feel like commenting on RAM? I know AE can just burn through it during renders. Anyone find going for more than 12GB to be worth the investment? Just curious.. I really wouldn't want to drop another 3-4 hundred unless there is a noticeable improvement.

-- I'm pretty open to any suggestions people might have to making improvements to this build that would add genuine functionality. Please feel free to comment. Especially from Final Cut users --

Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back