Graphics
R9 290x
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I live near a few Fry's stores (frys.com) and was wondering if anyone had success building a hackintosh with parts offered in the store. If possible I would love to walk in and pick up the parts to build my hackintosh this weekend. If anyone wants to help me pick out parts I would appreciate it.

If you don't want to bother with the entire setup, motherboard and video card suggestions are probably most important. The rest I imagine shouldn't matter too much.

My requirements are listed below for each part. Everything must work EASILY with a lion install. I have already spent 12+ hours trying to get my current desktop to work with no luck.

• i7 processor
    8+gb ram (preferably more but I can prob live with 8)
    mobo w/ onboard sound (or a cheap sound card that works in lion)
    video card able to push 2 30" monitors (2560x1920 res each) - so 2 dvi dual link outs
    hard drive (not too picky so long as it works easily)
    power supply (not too picky)
    case (suggestions welcome)

any gigabyte z68 motherboard, ati video card

Any ati video card? I have an ATI 4870 X2 and a 6950 so I could just use one of those if that is the case.

**EDIT - added "ati" in the question.

I know this may go against everything most people believe in here but...

I recommend an ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE. I use it and it is rock solid. I have not seen anyone fail using this board. The full UEFI BIOS implementation is closer than most boards to what an actual MAC runs. It was simple to get running and features an Intel LAN port which works even before adding extra Kexts.

+1 for the ATI Radeon. I use a Power Color 6870 and it runs great (but I can't recommend mine as I am only running 1 monitor and never tried it with a second). Just be sure to get a reference design card. I would steer clear of over clocks or extra memory/features. You are really rolling the dice with those. The 8Gig(2x4G) 1866MHz GSkill Sniper series memory works great and is comparably inexpensive (although I personally think it is not great to look at it is solid in performance which is much more important)

I would stay with a Gigabyte board if this is your first time saddling up to a hackintosh.

I live near a fry's too and there are no micro tax boards there. I got my i7 2600k there though and wireless USB.

so i got a z68 and an i5 and everything went great. i installed my old 4870 x2 since i couldnt get my 6950 to work at all.

Does anyone have a suggestions for how to get the 6950 to work in lion?

Also, if I boot my 4870 with only one monitor plugged in it works fine. I can even plug in my 30" monitor after it is booted with no issues. If I happen to boot with both monitors plugged in the 30" dvi output seems to tweak out and display weird colors. The secondary monitor shows the background you expect for the lion login screen but since the right monitor is the one with the login (pw input) i can't easily log in. Even unplugging and replugging the monitor back in doesnt seem to fix it. Is this common?

cliffg said:
I know this may go against everything most people believe in here but...

I recommend an ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE. I use it and it is rock solid. I have not seen anyone fail using this board. The full UEFI BIOS implementation is closer than most boards to what an actual MAC runs. It was simple to get running and features an Intel LAN port which works even before adding extra Kexts.

+1 for the ATI Radeon. I use a Power Color 6870 and it runs great (but I can't recommend mine as I am only running 1 monitor and never tried it with a second). Just be sure to get a reference design card. I would steer clear of over clocks or extra memory/features. You are really rolling the dice with those. The 8Gig(2x4G) 1866MHz GSkill Sniper series memory works great and is comparably inexpensive (although I personally think it is not great to look at it is solid in performance which is much more important)

I agree with this, being one of the early takers of this board. I don't run it anymore but I wish I still did.

The P67 deluxe version is also a pretty decent board to use and simple to set up.

Asus over Gigabyte anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back