Contribute
Register

buidling a good gaming/video editing box (newb warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I appologize in advance for my noobness.

This is literally my first post, and I am using the Lifehacker build as my base idea but I have some issues with it, mainly the CPU and MOBO are hard to find I'd like to purchase it all from newegg or an equally reliable source, and the GPU seems really weak btw;

Antec Sonata III Case with 500W Power Supply
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 01G-P3-N959-TR Video Card
Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory x 2 (for a total of 8GB)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support

It also completely leaves out any information about getting WiFi, HDMI output, which are both necessary, and I want to take advantage of USB 3.0.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, any resources or links that may help me determine what makes one piece of hardware compatible with the other.

camoner said:

This is literally my first post, and I am using the Lifehacker build as my base idea but I have some issues with it, mainly the CPU and MOBO are hard to find I'd like to purchase it all from newegg or an equally reliable source, and the GPU seems really weak btw;

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory x 2 (for a total of 8GB)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

It also completely leaves out any information about getting WiFi, HDMI output, which are both necessary, and I want to take advantage of USB 3.0.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, any resources or links that may help me determine what makes one piece of hardware compatible with the other.

Welcome to the forums camoner, and welcome to your journey in the Hackintosh world.

I would highly suggest going with a Gigabyte motherboard over an Asus. Gigabyte boards are much more compatible.

What type of games are you going to be play and at what resolution? I would go with at least an ATI 5770, or ideally an ATI 5870 or an Nvidia 460 gtx card for the best performance.

Go with a Sony or Pioneer DVD-RW drive, that way you won't have any issues with putting your system to sleep and waking it up.

Read this post, about making your own real Apple WIFI card. It's really straight forward, and it shouldn't take you longer than 10 minutes to assumable.

Video over HDMI will work without any issues, sadly getting the audio over the HDMI cable most likely isn't going to work.

USB 3.0 is now supported by multibeast!

Also, what CPU cooler are you going to use?

The iBoot + MultiBeast method is designed around DSDT files (see wiki). You can edit these yourself or use one from this site's DSDT database.

The gigabyte ones are already done, verified, tested, and very compatible.

Check the wiki category "Hardware" for the most compatible motherboards, graphics cards, chipsets, optical drives, etc. when picking your build!

If you pick something else and it works great, add it to the wiki and make some notes!!

Good luck!

Thanks, I am going to start digging through the wiki, and making a list of parts I will be getting any advice on the MOBO would be appreciated. As for the resoultion, I want to play at as high a res as possible, I have a new Samsung 1080p tv that I want to use one of the HDMI ports on for the computer, Is there anyway to have the audio work through the HDMI? I hadn't really put much thought into the CPU cooler, as for the CPU will any i7 work? or do only specific models work? I will definitely take you advice on the wifi card, it seems pretty straight forward.

camoner said:
From What was told to me before I know I am going to use a gigabyte MOBO, NVIDIA Graphics card,one of the GeForce's I want it to have true HDMI ports, not a mini HDMI. I am going to get a sony Optiarc, This hard drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148506. Besides that I am still looking.
I wouldn't use that drive for OS X as there are currently no SATA 3 drivers.

Dr. Who? said:
camoner said:

Welcome to the forums camoner, and welcome to your journey in the Hackintosh world.

I would highly suggest going with a Gigabyte motherboard over an Asus. Gigabyte boards are much more compatible.

What type of games are you going to be play and at what resolution? I would go with at least an ATI 5770, or ideally an ATI 5870 or an Nvidia 460 gtx card for the best performance.

Go with a Sony or Pioneer DVD-RW drive, that way you won't have any issues with putting your system to sleep and waking it up.

Read this post, about making your own real Apple WIFI card. It's really straight forward, and it shouldn't take you longer than 10 minutes to assumable.

Video over HDMI will work without any issues, sadly getting the audio over the HDMI cable most likely isn't going to work.

USB 3.0 is now supported by multibeast!

Also, what CPU cooler are you going to use?

You offer great advice (I, myself took some advice from you)! But I wouldn't say that Gigabyte is more compatible than ASUS. Some ASUS have proven to work out of the box! However, there is no support for ASUS right now. The difference is simply that Gigabyte has all of the the support around here.

Attachments

• ioreg 5850 Mac Pro.zip
    566.3 KB · Views: 42
I was wondering if there any compatible blu-ray burning drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back