Contribute
Register

Buggy DSDT Asus Q501LA, help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased this laptop a few months ago, partly because of a post on slickdeals about it running mac very well. I've been too busy to play around with it, I've hackintoshed a few computers before and I could probably figure it out in a few days, I just don't have the time to devote to piecing together the process from the few posts on this forum about this model. Wondering if someone here would be willing to post a step by step guide (even if it's just a general outline, like which bootloader / installer method, etc.) to help me out. It would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...w-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover-11.html

Use this guide with the files that conradolzp posted earlier in the thread (the dsdtssdt.zip and ASUS Q501LA STABLE.zip files). That's what I did, and everything seems to run very well except for sleep. I used the UEFI configurations in the guide, not the legacy ones.

Then install the touchpad driver from here:

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/

Also depending on what network adapter your model comes with could cause some problems with getting wifi to work. I heard that the atheros card will work, but the Intel one's won't. If yours comes with an Intel card, you'll have to replace it. Mine did and I replaced it with the Broadcom BMC94352. For reference here is where I purchased mine:

http://www.amazon.com/AzureWave-Broadcom-BCM94352HMB-802-11-867Mbps/dp/B00JY6X9HM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1401492888&sr=1-1

This works too. it might also be cheaper. Dell DW1510 PW934 802.11 ABGN Wireless Half Mini PCI-E BCM94322HM Dualbrand card

Thank you so much!!! GREATLY appreciate this information. Exactly what I was looking for.

Since Chameleon 3 was just released (w/ official hd4400 support) I'll probably give that a shot and report back. Cheers!

Thank you so much!!! GREATLY appreciate this information. Exactly what I was looking for.

Since Chameleon 3 was just released (w/ official hd4400 support) I'll probably give that a shot and report back. Cheers!

I think you mean Chimera 3. Mobile HD4400 is supported natively by existing OS X drivers.

I think you mean Chimera 3. Mobile HD4000 is supported natively by existing OS X drivers.

Yes, my mistake, I meant chimera- either way I'll see how it goes.

Yes, my mistake, I meant chimera- either way I'll see how it goes.

And I meant HD4400, of course. But yes, it is HD4400 desktop that is not supported (still now is only supported part way). Mobile HD4400 works no problem.

Is there something different I need to do if I'm installing to an external USB (usb 3.0 HD)? Trying to test things out a bit before installing to the internal SSD. Everything installs fine to the external HD, but I can only boot it if I boot from clover on the Install Flash drive. Tried using both sets of clover settings - for the "working" volume and "install" volume - to no avail - the clover "skin" also disappears on the USB external HD clover (just a blue screen with black text)

Is there something different I need to do if I'm installing to an external USB (usb 3.0 HD)? Trying to test things out a bit before installing to the internal SSD. Everything installs fine to the external HD, but I can only boot it if I boot from clover on the Install Flash drive. Tried using both sets of clover settings - for the "working" volume and "install" volume - to no avail - the clover "skin" also disappears on the USB external HD clover (just a blue screen with black text)

No that's actually what I did as well (installed it to an external HD and then used carbon copy cloner to clone it over). Did you follow the guide that I linked exactly? Also did you use the usb flash drive to boot into you external HD where you installed mavericks to, and then install the clover bootloader onto that partition? Also did you make sure to replace the files inside the efi partition for your external HD with the files in dsdtssdt.zip and ASUS Q501LA STABLE.zip?

No that's actually what I did as well (installed it to an external HD and then used carbon copy cloner to clone it over). Did you follow the guide that I linked exactly? Also did you use the usb flash drive to boot into you external HD where you installed mavericks to, and then install the clover bootloader onto that partition? Also did you make sure to replace the files inside the efi partition for your external HD with the files in dsdtssdt.zip and ASUS Q501LA STABLE.zip?

So far I've gone through the install procedure 3 times to the same result. First I followed the guide exactly; next I tried following the guide and using the custom clover settings for the install USB (rather than the actual 'working' mavericks copy further down) Most recently trying a different hard drive hoping that might be the issue; no luck. I'm wondering if I need to change BIOS Settings?

EDIT: Played around with the EFI Partition a bit and got clover to boot from the external HD (as opposed to the flash drive) by copying parts of the install drive's EFI partition, although the system isn't completely stable and sound doesn't work so something isn't right. I do get a message about not being able to use the "strings" command, saying I'd need to download XCode. I think next on my list is to try and run the clover installer from my "working" hackintosh (desktop) and see if that does any better.

EDIT 2 : Problem w/ booting fixed - issue turned out to be an old version of clover installer I had accidentally copied instead of the newer release. Only issue now - sleep doesn't work (Only issue so far, no audio. Intel HD Audio shows up in system profiler, but no volume control or Output Devices found in system preferences / sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back