Contribute
Register

budget video editing rig, best GPU to pair with 2500k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am attempting to build a budget video editing hackintosh around a GA-Z68AP-D3 motherboard and a 2500k processor. I settled on the 6850 graphics card, but I am now wondering if this is overkill. Maybe I should spend the extra money and go from 8GB RAM to 16GB, I don't know, that's why I am here.

I have read about OPENCL and I understand that the program I will be using, Final Cut Pro X, uses this technology to really utilize the GPU.

Can anyone give me an idea if the 6850 is worth it for this endeavor, or should I be looking to get a card about $50 cheaper and use the extra money on additional ram?

Gordo74 said:
If I were you, I'd go with an nVidia 550Ti video card, which allows the use of OpenCL and CUDA, then put the extra $100 into getting a 2600k instead of a 2500k, as that is one place that the 2600k is worth it.

Thanks for response. What about a 6670? I don't know where I would use CUDA.

gotosleep said:
Gordo74 said:
If I were you, I'd go with an nVidia 550Ti video card, which allows the use of OpenCL and CUDA, then put the extra $100 into getting a 2600k instead of a 2500k, as that is one place that the 2600k is worth it.

HD6670 works too. After setting Atiports and AtiConfig in org.chameleon.boot.plistthey work OOB.

if you go with an nvidia card and if you ever use adobe premiere pro(not sure if its been intergrated into other adobe products) it will accelerate the playback scrubbing with the mercury engine, and yes going with the extra cpu power never hurts

gotosleep said:
Gordo74 said:

The 550Ti is a better bang for the buck than the 6670 for OpenCL work. If you're going to use ATI for OpenCL work, I'd go with the 6850 at the least.

Gordo74 said:
gotosleep said:
Gordo74 said:

The 550Ti is a better bang for the buck than the 6670 for OpenCL work. If you're going to use ATI for OpenCL work, I'd go with the 6850 at the least.
How About GTX 560 powerful than 550TI smoothly working with lion

Gordo74 said:
rohith said:
How About GTX 560 powerful than 550TI smoothly working with lion

All of that is good. I think he's looking for something less powerful that is still helpful though.

He is looking for video editing Machine so good CPU and GPU do Better. So i comment about that crd. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back