Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm looking to build a machine for a buddy of mine that will be used primarily for editing video with Final Cut Pro X. I currently have only one build under my belt which is the customac mini 2011 so I was hoping to get some help. I should preface by saying that his budget is $600-$800 but the closer to $600 the better. I'm looking at the i5 3570k for the processor. My question is... will the HD 4000 on board graphics be enough for editing video? I have literally no experience with video cards so any help in that area would be greatly appreciated. Also, how important is the RAM (8GB vs 16 GB for instance)? And is it worth it to spend the extra on the Corsair Vengeance series as opposed to the XMS? And is there any particular MOBO that would work well? It would be sweet to get one with Thunderbolt but I'm not sure how cost efficient that would be as I haven't really been keeping up with any of the Thunderbolt/Hackintosh progress. Thanks so much for the help guys!

My question is... will the HD 4000 on board graphics be enough for editing video?
The answer to this really depends on the amount and type of video editing.

If doing HD or lesser video using mostly only one timeline video track, few transitions, few to no rendered FX, using a format that's natively supported by FinalCut's RT features (.mov quicktime files from a DSLR for example) working on timelines not longer than 20 minutes, then sure, you could get by with the onboard video.

If doing HD video using manly levels of timeline video tracks/picture-in-picture/lots of transitions, lots of rendered FX, and/or using formats not natively supported, working in timelines longer than 20 minutes- then I'd say go with as beefy a graphics card as possible, and that onboard probably would hamper your work.

My recommends above are a basic 'guesstimate' based on my own experiences doing tons of video editing in every version of Final Cut up to 7. X may handle things differently, but I'd still go at least roughly by the above.

A few thoughts from a hack noob with a ton of PC building experience...

Right now the difference between 8 and 16 GB is $50, so if he can use the RAM it's a no-brainer.

The HD 4000 uses system memory, which will be slower than dedicated GDDR5 in a higher-end GPU.

You will probably want 2 drives - one for OS and programs, one for content.

With your budget you are looking at a rough breakdown (assuming you're looking at ATX and not mini-ITX):

$200 for CPU
$150 for motherboard
$100 for 16GB RAM
$100 for case and decent PSU
$25 for optical disk drive

And you still have no GPU or HDs. You could start with the HD 4000 and upgrade later, and spend $100 on a decent HD and you're at $675ish.

Good call on the RAM. Final Cut X can use all the RAM you can give it since it's 64 bit, so more RAM will definitely help. In previous versions it didn't matter as much as FCP topped out at using 4GB no matter how much was installed.

Ok, so it looks like going with a video card is a definite must for what he's looking to do. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent, moderately priced one that will play nice with OS X? Like I said, I've only used on board graphics so I have no previous experience with graphics cards. Also, I'm not opposed to building mATX if it would cut costs. He would also like the ability to run two monitors which I have never done with a Hackintosh before... Could anyone recommend a good motherboard with this capability. It seems to me as if it would be very difficult to build the type of machine we're looking for without spending $800... which is totally okay if that is the case. But if anyone has any cost cutting suggestions I'm definitely open to anything. Thanks so much for the help guys! It's much appreciated. I am very much enjoying learning how to build hackintoshes!

Luckily, most any single video card will support dual monitors, and certainly a decent one.

All the motherboard requires is at least one PCIe x16 slot for the video card. I'd recommend running duals off the video card only, not one port from the card and one onboard.

I recommend starting with the CustoMac lists from the Resources menu, and looking at what parts suit the budget range and needs. You can mix and match between the budget to pro-range parts. Start with a well supported motherboard, and go from there- I tend to view systems as always revolving around the motherboard first, as it determines the other component choices. Look at other's build lists here in the same price range that others here have approved, and also install guides for insight on what will be easiest to set up.

My recommend for a pretty capable video card for editing is a GeForce 550 Ti with 1GB of GDDR ($120-range). Double check with your friend about the needed dual port types (DVI, HDMI, VGA, etc.) before deciding on the exact card- if you notice cards of the same model but different brands can have different port combos. Dual DVI is usually a safe bet, and keep in mind HDMI can be converted to DVI with a cable or adapter.

One way I'd recommend to save money is don't buy the most expensive case. I've used this $40 case for several builds and love the quality of it- easily as good as many cases that cost $100.

Don't skimp on Power Supply quality, but also don't go overkill. I sometimes see people buying huge wattage monsters when a decent 500W-600W PSU will do just fine. Quality matters a lot more than just wattage.

I think it's also possible to save money by buying multiple parts from one source if possible- it might save on overall shipping.

Post your proposed build list so others can help you sign off on it.

Luckily, most any single video card will support dual monitors, and certainly a decent one.

All the motherboard requires is at least one PCIe x16 slot for the video card. I'd recommend running duals off the video card only, not one port from the card and one onboard.

I recommend starting with the CustoMac lists from the Resources menu, and looking at what parts suit the budget range and needs. You can mix and match between the budget to pro-range parts. Start with a well supported motherboard, and go from there- I tend to view systems as always revolving around the motherboard first, as it determines the other component choices. Look at other's build lists here in the same price range that others here have approved, and also install guides for insight on what will be easiest to set up.

My recommend for a pretty capable video card for editing is a GeForce 550 Ti with 1GB of GDDR ($120-range). Double check with your friend about the needed dual port types (DVI, HDMI, VGA, etc.) before deciding on the exact card- if you notice cards of the same model but different brands can have different port combos. Dual DVI is usually a safe bet, and keep in mind HDMI can be converted to DVI with a cable or adapter.

One way I'd recommend to save money is don't buy the most expensive case. I've used this $40 case for several builds and love the quality of it- easily as good as many cases that cost $100.

Don't skimp on Power Supply quality, but also don't go overkill. I sometimes see people buying huge wattage monsters when a decent 500W-600W PSU will do just fine. Quality matters a lot more than just wattage.

I think it's also possible to save money by buying multiple parts from one source if possible- it might save on overall shipping.

Post your proposed build list so others can help you sign off on it.
Antec 300 case is $45 after rebate right now at Newegg, a solid case that I used to build my A/V editing system. OCZ Modstream 600W PSU is $50 after rebate. It's modular which makes cable runs easier.

Although almost the same price, I chose the GT 640 as it works out of the box with zero effort (graphicsenabler=no). For any gaming I would not recommend it but it has 384 CUDA cores vs 192 in the 550 - but are said to only be half as good so perhaps it's a wash. If speed is more important than ease than the 550 is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back