Graphics
MSI GTX 660Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I`m looking for a replacement for my GTX 285, mainly for motion graphics, graphics design, video editing - all in CS6 suite + Cinema 4d.

rest of system is Z77 DS3H, 3770k, 32gb ram, gtx 285

The reason for other video card is becouse I can`t make it work as smooth as I want. (already made a thread about my problem here -> http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-photoshop-cs6-illustrator-cs6-gtx-285-a.html)
Photoshop isn`t working as smooth - it even lags when panning.
mission control animations are lagging. However Premiere runs nice with all the GPU acceleration.

I don`t need anything fancy, as i don`t play games. Just a decent card, that can handle 2 monitors for video editing and graphic design work. I`m looking at GTX 650, the price is nice and from other threads it looks, that it works

We have nearly the same specs and i have the GTX650. I run dual 1680*1050 monitors and also tested with dual 1920*1200 panels . At this price tag i believe that the GTX650 is the best option, runs very smooth and i 've noticed no lag anywhere. And of course works natively.

I suggest 660Ti. Some users report issues with the non Ti version. Also Tony's guide suggests the Ti version. I believe that it worths for sure paying the extra money for the compatibility especially if this setup is your main workstation.

I don't mean that 660 doesn't work, but it depends on you and how much time you want to spend to make it work. All the recommended GPUs from Tony work natively with minimum tweaking. (just GraphicsEnabler=No at Boot.plist and PEG graphics card bios setting)

I suggest 660Ti. Some users report issues with the non Ti version. Also Tony's guide suggests the Ti version. I believe that it worths for sure paying the extra money for the compatibility especially if this setup is your main workstation.

I don't mean that 660 doesn't work, but it depends on you and how much time you want to spend to make it work. All the recommended GPUs from Tony work natively with minimum tweaking. (just GraphicsEnabler=No at Boot.plist and PEG graphics card bios setting)

Although you are right the 660 doesn't work out of the box, its relatively simple to get working and doesn't take much time or tweaking at all, provided your cpu/motherboard supports HD3000/HD4000 graphics.

You just get the system setup without the 660, then install the nvidia drivers, add GraphicsEnabler=No using multibeast, install the 660 and when you switch back on the 660 will be working.

Of course, the only difference is that with the non Ti you have to manually install the drivers. With the Ti the driver needed, is already installed from factory in the system. So its a subject of personal decision only. For me, its better to have as many as possible things to work oob because its my main system.

One more thing simply to mention, is that it's not necessary to run Multibeast again if you have an already running system. You can edit as text the (your sys. drive name) / Extra / org.chameleon.Boot.plist, type "No" at the graphics enabler and close the window. Next time you restart the change will be enabled.

And if i am not mistaken the Ti is a bit better at performance, not sure how.

I can add also if yall didn't know for some 3d modeling programs you want a more memory on the card. I plan to get a 660ti as well if I get impatient waiting for the 700 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back