Graphics
GTX-660
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone and a special thanks to Tonymac, Macman, and lnx2mac for your countless hours and dedication to this forum as well as everyone else involved.

I'm new to building a computer from scratch but figured building a new hackintosh would be a great way to get my feet wet. I've been browsing the forums for quite some time and have gone through numerous posts on all the different builds people are doing both here and on insanelymac.com

Here's what I think my setup will be:

Intel Core I7 870 Boxed - $250 with tax through Microcenter
(It's only $50 extra with tax than the i5 760 do you think it's worth it?)

Gigabyte GA-P55M - UD2 Ultra Durable 3 Motherboard - $116.99 through Amazon
(Can't find a ud4 under $200, also is the ud4 worth the extra cash? Would also consider the UD3 but LNX2Mac said he preferred the UD2...)

Corsair 4GB Dual Channel Corsair DDR3 Memory for Intel Core i3, i5, i7 Processors (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)- $69.99 through Amazon.com

Scythe Mugen 2 - $47.35

GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - $150.00 - Newegg plus a mail in rebate of $30.00

Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550-Watt VX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Core i7 and Core i5 - $79.99 Newegg plus a $20 mail in rebate card.

Samsung Sprintpoint 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5 inch Bulk - $66.50

XION Predator Mid Tower Gaming Case - $74.99 - Amazon

Sony 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive AD-7260S-0B - Bulk (Black) - $27.82 Amazon

Cables Unlimited 19.5 Inch x 23 inch Anti Static Grounding Pad - $14.88

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - $6.48

I think I'll be at a sub $900 hackintosh with all the mail in rebates any thoughts on the build?

I've also priced out the mac pro 2010 build at right around $1180. I'd like to build a computer that would last 3-4 years with solid use and my budget is around $1300 with monitor, keyboard etc...

I do light gaming SC2, some video compiling/conversion and some audio work. I would also like to dual boot Windows 7 and run it in a VM. I probably don't need the top of the line equipment but if the cost is only slightly higher why not?

Thanks,

Shelby

Shelby said:
Hello everyone and a special thanks to Tonymac, Macman, and lnx2mac for your countless hours and dedication to this forum as well as everyone else involved.
:wave:

I'm new to building a computer from scratch but figured building a new hackintosh would be a great way to get my feet wet.
Visit my blog for some tips along the way ;)

Intel Core I7 870 Boxed - $250 with tax through Microcenter
(It's only $50 extra with tax than the i5 760 do you think it's worth it?)
I think so...
Also, if you can get a Tray (sometimes called OEM) CPU instead of the Boxed, it might be cheaper and won't have the useless stock cooler...

Gigabyte GA-P55M - UD2 Ultra Durable 3 Motherboard - $116.99 through Amazon
(Can't find a ud4 under $200, also is the ud4 worth the extra cash? Would also consider the UD3 but LNX2Mac said he preferred the UD2...)
Yeah, I just love the mATX...

Corsair 4GB Dual Channel Corsair DDR3 Memory for Intel Core i3, i5, i7 Processors (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)- $69.99 through Amazon.com
Those are fine, but I always prefer G.Skill Ecos ;)

Scythe Mugen 2 - $47.35
:clap:

Samsung Sprintpoint 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5 inch Bulk - $66.50
Just make sure it's the SpinPoint F3...

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - $6.48
Not really necessary, but MacMan had great experience with this one...

I think I'll be at a sub $900 hackintosh with all the mail in rebates any thoughts on the build?
It seems you've done your homework :headbang:

some video compiling/conversion and some audio work. I would also like to dual boot Windows 7 and run it in a VM.
For this the i7 will shine !

Shelby said:
Forgot to ask about keyboards
Have you considered the Apple Wireless Keyboard + Apple Magic Trackpad ?

For me, it is what "makes" the Mac feeling...

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Thanks for your advice I'll be getting the G. Skill ram, and the SpinPoint F3.

I picked up my motherboard already and ended up getting a P55A-UD4P for around $118 open box. Hopefully it will perform okay, if not I figure I can get a UD2 for around the same.

I also may go with an i5 760 as Micro Center has them on sale for $169 + tax right now.

To keep the Mac feel I think I'm going with one of these Matias Tactilepro V3 Keyboard.

Any advice on 23"+ monitors?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    40.9 KB · Views: 113
Shelby said:
Any advice on 23"+ monitors?
As you can see in my sig, I use the SAMSUNG T260HD 1920x1200 (though it's 25.5").

This was after having the SAMSUNG T240 (1920x1200, 24") in my wife's desktop for about 6 months...
We love these panels !

Some Dells are amazing, but being S-PVA, are pricey...

Obviously, Apple panels shine (pun intended), but I can't stand glossy panels...

Anyway, my best recommendation would be to go to a shop, and watch the monitors !

I'm in the process of ordering components for my build do you have a Newegg Affiliate Id? If so post a link in this forum or update your blog and I'll be happy to order through you :p

I ordered my other components through Tonymac's Amazon link so I thought I would divide it up between you as well since you contributed so much.

Shelby said:
I'm in the process of ordering components for my build do you have a Newegg Affiliate Id? If so post a link in this forum or update your blog and I'll be happy to order through you :p

I ordered my other components through Tonymac's Amazon link so I thought I would divide it up between you as well since you contributed so much.
Shelby,

Unfortunately, no... As I don't live in the US, I guess I can't do that.

But thanks anyway !
Much appreciate your kind intentions !

Guess I should have reversed it, and purchased my Amazon items through you :)

Sorry and thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll have some installation questions too!

Nothing as sleek as an Apple Keyboard IMO, but to each their own.

I'd look at either the Viewsonic monitors, or the Dells. I know that they are pretty high quality, and pretty cheap as well. If you keep your eyes open for black friday, I'm sure you can get a crazy deal.

I'm personally very happy with my Asus 24".

Mouse - Razer Naga/DeathAdder/Orochi
Keyboard - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate/Anansi
Headset - Razer Carcharias

Hehe... I'm a Razer Fanatic... :D

For the rest of the items...
They are all great!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back