Contribute
Register

Budget build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings!

I'm glad there's a fix for the graphics glitches. I might have to use it.

I was reading some of the older threads, and stumbled upon @rwillett 's post here. My current computer, the Phenom build I mentioned in my first post, uses a Sapphire Radeon HD 6770. Do you think I could use it as a temporary GFX card until I can find a GTX 950/960 on sale?

Thanks!

No, the Radeon HD 6770 is not supported in macOS. Just use the processor's HD 530 graphics in the interim - as you've seen, there's a fix for the glitches.

Hello!

I decided to pull the trigger and placed my orders today.

Here's the parts list:
  • CPU: Intel Skylake Core i5 6400 2.70GHz box
  • MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-H110M-S2H
  • RAM: Kingston 16GB, DDR4, 2133MHz, CL15
  • SSD: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB SATA-III 2.5 inch
  • PSU: Corsair CX450M, 450W, 80 PLUS BRONZE
  • Case: SilentiumPC Regnum RG1 Pure Black
Still waiting for a GTX 950 or 960 to go on sale. Will use the integrated HD 530 until then.
Not sure if I need an aftermarket cooler for the CPU, since I'm not planning on overclocking. Will probably consider it if I find the stock cooler too noisy.

Hopefully everything goes well, and I'll be posting from my hackintosh soon.

Greetings!

I'm glad there's a fix for the graphics glitches. I might have to use it.

I was reading some of the older threads, and stumbled upon @rwillett 's post here. My current computer, the Phenom build I mentioned in my first post, uses a Sapphire Radeon HD 6770. Do you think I could use it as a temporary GFX card until I can find a GTX 950/960 on sale?

Thanks!
Hello WildFruits,
I am not familiar with AMD cards. I read the post about the AMD cards and did not see the HD 6770 on the list for compatibility. Here is the link if you have not seen it:
Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Hello!

I decided to pull the trigger and placed my orders today.

Here's the parts list:
  • CPU: Intel Skylake Core i5 6400 2.70GHz box
  • MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-H110M-S2H
  • RAM: Kingston 16GB, DDR4, 2133MHz, CL15
  • SSD: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB SATA-III 2.5 inch
  • PSU: Corsair CX450M, 450W, 80 PLUS BRONZE
  • Case: SilentiumPC Regnum RG1 Pure Black
Still waiting for a GTX 950 or 960 to go on sale. Will use the integrated HD 530 until then.
Not sure if I need an aftermarket cooler for the CPU, since I'm not planning on overclocking. Will probably consider it if I find the stock cooler too noisy.

Hopefully everything goes well, and I'll be posting from my hackintosh soon.

Hello WildFruits,
Great choices on the parts. The stock cooler should be fine but if you find it a bit noisy I recommend this one:
Amazon.com: Noctua Low-Profile Quiet CPU Cooler for Intel 115x ...
I use this in my Mini Build with the same CPU you ordered and it is very quiet.

Hello WildFruits,
Great choices on the parts. The stock cooler should be fine but if you find it a bit noisy I recommend this one:
Amazon.com: Noctua Low-Profile Quiet CPU Cooler for Intel 115x ...
I use this in my Mini Build with the same CPU you ordered and it is very quiet.

Hello,

It took me quite a while to decide on the parts. I hope my choices were indeed as great as you say.

Thank you for the cooler suggestion. I found it on a local retailer's website, but sadly they're selling it for almost double the price. In any case, the new computer can't possibly be noisier than my current build.

So far I received the PSU and RAM. I should be receiving the second delivery tomorrow, and if so, I might even build the new computer in the evening, after work.

Will keep you posted.

Greetings!

I picked up my second delivery today, and while I'm excited about building the new computer, the motherboard and CPU are still pretty cold and foggy, and need to warm up a little.

I'll get back to you soon.

Greetings!

I finished building my new computer today and I gotta say it went smoother than my first build, 5.5 years ago.

The case is smaller than my old computer's case, but roomier. I could fit another motherboard inside with room to spare. Perhaps I should've gone with a smaller, mATX case, but the Regnum's look was closest to what I had in mind: simple, elegant and no flashy LEDs and 5+ noisy fans.

Cable management wasn't an issue - the case is really well built in this aspect.

I only encountered one problem, during first boot. Five long beeps and auto-restart almost made me dirty my pants. Luckily there wasn't anything wrong with the CPU like some folks on the Internet say. After pushing the RAM stick deeper into its slot, the problem went away and I could boot just fine.

I've yet to prepare a Sierra installation thumb drive, so I just used a Linux Mint bootable USB to check if everything's OK.

So far so good. I'll try to prepare my macOS drive tomorrow, and perhaps I'll even have time to install it.

On another note, the new build is very quiet compared to the old one. Yay!

I'll keep you posted on how things work out.

Last edited:
Looks like an awesome build! I'm interested to see how it works out, if your build works well then I'm gonna switch to that MOBO since it's about $40 cheaper than the original one I was looking at.

If this MOBO works out my build drops down to $604 instead of about $650, all without losing any speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back