CPU
Intel i5 6400
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
This is the first time I'm posting, but I've been lurking for a while trying to learn a thing or two about hackintoshes.

I've decided to build my own macOS-powered machine before New Year's. This would be the second time I'm building a computer - my first was an AMD Phenom II X4 955 build that I'm still using after 5.5 years.

Since installing macOS on an AMD computer is somewhat impossible, I came up with this budget-ish configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H110M-S2H Asus H110M-C/CSM Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston 16GB, DDR4, 2133MHz, CL15 Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: None, will use the integrated HD 530 until a 950/960 goes on sale GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 750 Ti OC WindForce 2X 4GB DDR5 (GV-N75TWF2OC-4GI) or Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card or Gigabyte GeForce GT 740 2GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: SilentiumPC Regnum RG1 Pure Black

As you can see I'm still undecided about the graphics card. I've read some older posts saying it might be a bit tricky to make the 750 Ti work properly (DVI/HDMI not working, must reflash the card, etc.). OTOH, I found some posts of successful builds using the 740 card. However, even these were EVGA, and not Asus. Not sure how much the brand weighs in a build, though.

Eventually I'll be getting a second SSD which I'll use for a Windows 10 installation. Will probably use my current 500GB HDD (WD Green) for extra storage, too.

I'll also need a case. I don't need anything fancy-looking, just a quiet enclosure.

So basically, I'd like some advice regarding my planned configuration and an answer to the age-old questions: Will it hackintosh? Anybody else used this parts? What sort of trouble should I expect?

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
This is the first time I'm posting, but I've been lurking for a while trying to learn a thing or two about hackintoshes.

I've decided to build my own macOS-powered machine before New Year's. This would be the second time I'm building a computer - my first was an AMD Phenom II X4 955 build that I'm still using after 5.5 years.

Since installing macOS on an AMD computer is somewhat impossible, I came up with this budget-ish configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus H110M-C/CSM Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card or Gigabyte GeForce GT 740 2GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

As you can see I'm still undecided about the graphics card. I've read some older posts saying it might be a bit tricky to make the 750 Ti work properly (DVI/HDMI not working, must reflash the card, etc.). OTOH, I found some posts of successful builds using the 740 card. However, even these were EVGA, and not Asus. Not sure how much the brand weighs in a build, though.

Eventually I'll be getting a second SSD which I'll use for a Windows 10 installation. Will probably use my current 500GB HDD (WD Green) for extra storage, too.

I'll also need a case. I don't need anything fancy-looking, just a quiet enclosure.

So basically, I'd like some advice regarding my planned configuration and an answer to the age-old questions: Will it hackintosh? Anybody else used this parts? What sort of trouble should I expect?

Any input is appreciated.

Hello WildFruits,
I'm not familiar with the H110 boards. Don't know if anyone else is familiar. Most people use the 170 series. But here is a link that has someone using a Gigabyte H110 board:
“HackinMouse” Skylake H110 Econo Rig - El Capitan/i3-6100/GA-H110M-A/GTX950/8GB

As for the other parts you should be fine. If your on a budget you can use other GPUs like the GT730 or GT710. I believe these work OOB and do not require drivers. Hope this helps.

Hello WildFruits,
I'm not familiar with the H110 boards. Don't know if anyone else is familiar. Most people use the 170 series. But here is a link that has someone using a Gigabyte H110 board:
“HackinMouse” Skylake H110 Econo Rig - El Capitan/i3-6100/GA-H110M-A/GTX950/8GB

As for the other parts you should be fine. If your on a budget you can use other GPUs like the GT730 or GT710. I believe these work OOB and do not require drivers. Hope this helps.

Hi aztlan78, and thanks for replying!

I've been browsing my local, more reputable retailers' websites for a few hours now in search for parts. Thanks to your suggestion, I managed to find an ASRock H170M Pro4 on sale. I noticed it's also mentioned on the November edition of the buyer's guide. Does this mean I should have no trouble installing Sierra on it? Or at least I'll be able to find guides for easy fixes for enabling sound and whatnot? Also, how reliable are ASRock motherboards nowadays? I remember one of my older computers had one and it sometimes BSODed - not sure if it was because of the mobo, or another component, though.

Looking for another graphics card now.

Thanks again for the input!

The Asus 750 Ti Strix version works. The non-Strix version from Asus is not a reference layout therefore some of the video output ports do not work in OS X. You can use their Strix version with no problem.

The Asus 750 Ti Strix version works. The non-Strix version from Asus is not a reference layout therefore some of the video output ports do not work in OS X. You can use their Strix version with no problem.

Thanks for the info!

The Strix line does seem a bit more expensive, but I'll keep it in mind.

Hi aztlan78, and thanks for replying!

I've been browsing my local, more reputable retailers' websites for a few hours now in search for parts. Thanks to your suggestion, I managed to find an ASRock H170M Pro4 on sale. I noticed it's also mentioned on the November edition of the buyer's guide. Does this mean I should have no trouble installing Sierra on it? Or at least I'll be able to find guides for easy fixes for enabling sound and whatnot? Also, how reliable are ASRock motherboards nowadays? I remember one of my older computers had one and it sometimes BSODed - not sure if it was because of the mobo, or another component, though.

Looking for another graphics card now.

Thanks again for the input!

Hello, I am not familiar with AsRock boards but it is in the Buyer's Guide and I believe you shouldn't have a problem with it. That guide is pretty accurate. Now on reliability I am not sure. Sorry.

Greetings!

I did some more parts hunting, and decided to switch the MOBO to a GIGABYTE GA-H110M-S2H.

Still undecided about the graphics card. I might go over budget and grab a 4GB one from the buyer's guide.

Hello again!

I found a stick of Kingston ValueRam (16GB) that's a bit cheaper than the two HyperX sticks combo thing. Would it work? And if so, would it have any negative influence on performance?

Still can't find a decent graphics card on sale. Would it be a bad idea to just run the system on integrated graphics? I read there have been some issues with the HD 530 (artifacting, flickering, etc.). Do these problems still persist on Sierra?

I'd like to use the system for gaming, too, but I'm afraid investing in an almost 3-year old card like the 2GB 750 isn't a good idea. Would a 4GB 950 be a better choice?

Thanks!

Hello again!

I found a stick of Kingston ValueRam (16GB) that's a bit cheaper than the two HyperX sticks combo thing. Would it work? And if so, would it have any negative influence on performance?

Still can't find a decent graphics card on sale. Would it be a bad idea to just run the system on integrated graphics? I read there have been some issues with the HD 530 (artifacting, flickering, etc.). Do these problems still persist on Sierra?

I'd like to use the system for gaming, too, but I'm afraid investing in an almost 3-year old card like the 2GB 750 isn't a good idea. Would a 4GB 950 be a better choice?

Thanks!

Hello WildFruits,
As long as the RAM is compatible with your MB then it shouldn't be a problem. Yes, Sierra does have some problems with artifacting, flickering, etc. The use of a GPU eliminates that. There is a fix for it though found on this link:
Skylake Intel HD 530 Graphics Glitch Fix

Now the GPU, that would depend on your gaming needs and your budget. The GTX 950 is a better choice then the 750. Well, thats my opinion. I would personally go with the 900 series. Hope this helps.

Hello WildFruits,
As long as the RAM is compatible with your MB then it shouldn't be a problem. Yes, Sierra does have some problems with artifacting, flickering, etc. The use of a GPU eliminates that. There is a fix for it though found on this link:
Skylake Intel HD 530 Graphics Glitch Fix

Now the GPU, that would depend on your gaming needs and your budget. The GTX 950 is a better choice then the 750. Well, thats my opinion. I would personally go with the 900 series. Hope this helps.

Greetings!

I'm glad there's a fix for the graphics glitches. I might have to use it.

I was reading some of the older threads, and stumbled upon @rwillett 's post here. My current computer, the Phenom build I mentioned in my first post, uses a Sapphire Radeon HD 6770. Do you think I could use it as a temporary GFX card until I can find a GTX 950/960 on sale?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back