Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I’ve just done my first hackintosh build, with Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5 TH, Intel Core i5-4670K, as well as my old GPU/RAM/cabinet/SSD.

I’m going to use the machine for audio production, so what I need to get everything up and running, is firewire (I’ve ordered a port to connect to the motherboard, hopefully that will be painless).

Since the motherboard has BT and WIFI, I’d like to get that up and running as well. Since things are looking quite good now, I don’t want to mess up a stable system. I’ve read through some posts - And I’m hoping that I’m on the right track - but if I could get some confirmation or tips to head me in the right direction, I’d be very grateful.

So.

In this thread, kangaroos writes:

The card for Wifi and bluetooth is AzureWave AW-CE123H

Anyway for the moment wifi only kext to edit :
1. Backup S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext

2. Copy S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext to Desktop

3. Property List Editor/Open/Desktop/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/ AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/Info.plist

4. Open IOKitPersonalities

5. Open Broadcom 802.11 PCI

6. Open IONameMatch

7. find: <string>pci14e4,43a0</string> Native

8. add: <string>pci14e4,4353</string> For BCM943224 HMS

9. add: <string>pci14e4,4357</string> For BCM943225 HMB
or
add: <string>pci14e4,43b1</string> For BCM94352 HMB

10. Save

11. Run kext installer

ID for Z87X-UD5TH wifi card Vendor : 14e4, Device 43b1

Source for the manipulation : http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

Bluetooth : same source for the manipulation

Bluetooth Vendor 13d3 Device 3404
Conversion for use in the kext because it is decimal value and not hexadecimal.
Vendor 13d3 —> 5075
Device 3404 —> 13316

1. Backup S/L/E/IOBluetoothFamily.kext

2. Copy S/L/E/IOBluetoothFamily.kext to Desktop

3, Property List Editor/Open/Desktop/IOBluetoothFamily/Contents/Plugins/ BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport/Contents/Info.plist

4. Open IOKitPersonalities

5. Open BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController - MediaLink BT4.0 Adapter
6. Change the id for vendor and device

At this point the card is detected but no pairing, the card don't see your device.

I have find here we need to inject firmware in RAM for it work : http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2925-bluetooth-firmware-uploader/
Download BTfirmwareuploader.kext 1.5 and install it.

I have never edited a kext before, and I'm just not sure if I'm missing anything here. So what's going on here?

8. add: <string>pci14e4,4353</string> For BCM943224 HMS

9. add: <string>pci14e4,4357</string> For BCM943225 HMB
or
add: <string>pci14e4,43b1</string> For BCM94352 HMB

I don't understand the difference between HMS, HMBor and HMB. Should I add them all?

and then:

11. Run kext installer
Is that this program? Surely, I should do more than just run it?

and "ID for Z87X-UD5TH wifi card Vendor : 14e4, Device 43b1". Where do i input the ID?

Source of the manipulation... is that to give credit to the right persons/thread for figuring this out?

I should be able to figure out BT once I understand this.

I have read quite a lot, but it's quite overwhelming - I hope this post doesn't come across as totally ignorant. I'm just in a place where I'm not sure exactly where to look for the right answers!

Regards,
Juno

I'd love to be of more help, but my understanding of this all is only just beginning,
anyway, i've the same board as well, and i've been able to get both bluetooth and wifi working following his guide, but my bluetooth isn't working anymore and i've not been able to get it working again...

to answer your questions,
first off, i added the HMS HMBor and HMB, i can't tell u if that's what u should do, but i did and my wifi works...
second, yes kext installer is an app, and yes i used Kext Wizard the one u are referring to...
third, where to put the id's, that is inside the kext files Kangaroos tells u to backup,
for wifi being /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
u make a backup of that so u can recover the original version later if u need to, u are going to modify a file inside the kext file, i used PlistEdit Pro (free download, google it)> again this is how i did it, but maybe i did something wrong since my BT's not working anymore.
The file u need to edit is another copy of the file u just made a backup for, this one as Kangaroos proposes u can put on your desktop, giving u a file on your desktop called ~/Desktop/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/Info.plist

(Kangaroos guide step 3) well that Info.plist at the end is what needs to be modified, with something like PlistEdit Pro i guess...
when that file with this app i was able to find IOKitPersonalities (step 4)and so on...
Kext installer installer will mostly be self-explanatory, just launch the app, on the 'Installation' tab u can browse to your modified kext and install it,
reboot

btw, u may know all of this but, if u are unable to see Info.plist inside of the
~/Desktop/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents folder , one way to unhide it is like so
launch Terminal and just type
chflags
no hidden ~/Desktop/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/
u can also type chflags nohidden+ u drag IO8011Family.Kext from your desktop or a finder window and drop it in terminal
press enter

good luck!

ps.: yeah source for the manipulation is giving credit

update: I am very happy to report bluetooth to be working again, I booted windows and tried pairing a trackpad, which worked, rebooted into OS X and all was well again.

Thanks for your help - that makes things much clearer.

I'm trying to fix it now, and I'll let you know once I've got some results. I'm already in trouble at the first step, though :)

When I open S/L/E/, I can't find IO80211Family.kext - only 9 kexts. I have not downloaded any kexts. Should I just DL IO80211Family.kext and put it in that folder?

Thanks for your help - that makes things much clearer.

I'm trying to fix it now, and I'll let you know once I've got some results. I'm already in trouble at the first step, though :)

When I open S/L/E/, I can't find IO80211Family.kext - only 9 kexts. I have not downloaded any kexts. Should I just DL IO80211Family.kext and put it in that folder?

I think you are looking in the wrong folder, take a look at the screenshot if u need clarification,
I think you are looking in /Library/Extensions and not System/Library/Extensions...
On your boot drive there should be 5 folders containing everything on it
Applications
Extra
Library
System
Users
so u want number 4, System and the Library folder that is in there, NOT the Library folder that is 'alongside' your System folder
Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 23.34.13 (3).jpg

OOOOhhh, i should maybe also inform u that Toleda has already provided us with a simpler way to enable your Wifi&BT, I only discovered it this morning because I had a hard time understanding his guide.
>this one http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html
anyway there's a link there to a repository
>this one https://github.com/toleda/airport_pcie-hm
Here you can find more information and the file(s) u need
Info there on the link [Guide]_airport_pcie-hm_details.pdf.zip
https://github.com/toleda/airport_pcie-hm/blob/master/[Guide]_airport_pcie-hm_details.pdf.zip, and
File on the link airport_kext_enabler
https://github.com/toleda/airport_pcie-hm/tree/master/airport_kext_enabler
here's the thing, this morning i have installed the bcm4352.kext that is there and the toledaARPT.kext...
but looking in to it more now, i see that u apparently only have to use one of them.
anyway, it didn't do the trick immediately, BT showed up and saw devices but wouldn't hold a connection and never accepted input, I thought I had tried everything and was beginning to suspect a problem with the hardware, so I booted windows to see if it was still working and pairing there.
It did and since then also in OS X...
Wifi doesn't work at the moment though, maybe that's my own doing by installing both kexts where I didn't need to, but BT was my only concern, so I'll be looking in to that later...

Thanks for your help, Enthudave - it's very much appreciated. You were right - I was looking in the wrong folder!

First, your last post:

OOOOhhh, i should maybe also inform u that Toleda has already provided us with a simpler way to enable your Wifi&BT, I only discovered it this morning because I had a hard time understanding his guide.

I have been scratching my head for a day now, and I'm having a hard time understanding this guide. To me, this looks 1) a bit more complicated and 2) what kangaroos has based his guide on - wouldn't that mean that the newer guide should be more suitable?

I did try a bit on the kangaroos guide, and I'm stopping at step 7:
find: <string>pci14e4,43a0</string> Native

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 07.24.45.png

As you can see from the screenshot, I can find <string>pci14e4, but not with the ending "43a0". Could I/should I add this? Or is there something I've misunderstood?

If I can find a solution to this, I can just add the other strings (I suppose I do that in the text editor underneath?) and then run kext installer to get the file I'm editing (on the desktop) into the right system folder?

If you think it's a bad idea to continue on this road, I will keep reading on the guide you posted until I understand things more clearly. At this point, I can do fine without BT for a good while, but I'd really like to get WiFi working soon, as I've got some work to do once that's up and running :)

Again, thanks!

Thanks!

Wow... that WAS easy!

I wasn't able to search for networks, but I typed in my home network ID and password, and it connected. As the computer will stay at home, there's no need to connect to anything else.

Again, thanks so much. I will look into bluetooth as well, but probably not before I need to use it.

I have the GA-Z87X-UD7 TH MB with PCIe Wifi + Bluetooth. The chipset for this is an Intel 7620HMW not a broadcom chipset. Is there a solution for this card? I had assumed they were the same and when I couldn't get this guide to work I pulled and looked at the chipset. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back