Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is there any way to use a broken 5K iMac as a Display? I know Apple removed the function to use target display Mode, but I thought maybe there is a way to open the iMac, remove all the PC parts and use an adapter to connect the Display with a computer.
When people fit a Hackintosh in the old white iMacs, they use adapters or something like that to reuse the original display.

Yes you can but like any Hackintosh it needs a ton of work and is not worth it. You can just buy a old Cinema Display for 40 dollars at the university of Utah surplus warehouse and use it as it looks like a imac

I already have a Cinema Display, but I don't use it anymore because of the resolution.
Any idea where I can find a controller/Adapter for the 5K iMac or the Display specifications to find out which one I need?

Sorry you would need to make your own circuit board to do it. Anyway what is wrong with your iMac maybe if you can fix it then you can run TeamViewer making it a monitor.

I found a guy who did exactly what I wanted to do.
With this driver board you can use an iMac 5k Display with any PC.

So i ordered an iMac Case, a Replacement 5K Display and the driver board.
Now I have to wait until they arrive.
I will post some images :)

cool!! sorry i couldn't help you

Interested to understand how this driver board will work.

I could use something similar in a build I think of starting where I want to build a standard windows PC inside an iMac, ie. just using the iMac cabinet and screen. First question I had was exactly this on how to drive the screen and interface the HDMI or similar from a standard GPU.

Hey @bluepr0 Thank you for you message. Unfortunately I can't answer you in a message, because I haven't enough post.
So i do it here in my thread :D

Oops! We ran into some problems.
You need to have 75 posts to be able to see your conversations.

Check this out.

Built one for my Hackintosh - works great. Dual DP 1.2 cable to RX580. 5k 60hz

I already tried that and failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back