Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 (9530) - Clover
CPU
i7-4712HQ
Graphics
Intel HD 4600 - 3200x1800, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
The card works in Windows, and in Linux (albeit after a sleep cycle) but not in OSX. The card is recognised by Yosemite, but the status is displayed as off and I am unable to turn it on. The bluetooth is only recognised and functioning after a sleep cycle.

To install Yosemite I have followed the guide posted by the-darkvoid: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-guides/144351-guide-dell-xps-9530-using-clover-uefi.html

DPCIManager lists the card as builtin and on en0.

CantTurnWifiOn.pngwifiRecognisedScreenshot.pngKextByCloverpng.png

I thought this might be related to some BIOS setting, as it was listed in Linux as "Disabled by HW switch", however I have updated the BIOS, and reset to default settings with no results.

Any help and ideas will be very much appreciated, as I paid a lot of money for this card and I would really like to have it working.

There was someone else with this issue, I believe over in the networking forum.
However I cannot find the relevant thread now.

I believe he ended up dual booting Windows and turned the card on.
After that all was fine.

I have now tried all possible ways I could find to disable and re-enable the card in Win 8(in driver, adapter settings, and airplane mode as well as FN key) and unfortunately it did not change anything.

I had a look in the Console on OS X, and I noticed that the BrcmPatchRAM only runs after sleep, it is not logging any activity on startup, is this normal?

I have now tried all possible ways I could find to disable and re-enable the card in Win 8(in driver, adapter settings, and airplane mode as well as FN key) and unfortunately it did not change anything.

I had a look in the Console on OS X, and I noticed that the BrcmPatchRAM only runs after sleep, it is not logging any activity on startup, is this normal?

BrcmPatchRAM affects only bluetooth, not WiFi.

I see, however the bluetooth is only recognised after the laptop has been in sleep mode. Before I sleep it, it is only listed as 'Not available'. Could these problems be related?

I see, however the bluetooth is only recognised after the laptop has been in sleep mode. Before I sleep it, it is only listed as 'Not available'. Could these problems be related?

In a cold boot scenario, provided the card has power, BrcmPatchRAM should run to load firmware at boot.

Maybe your card is not being powered up (ACPI problem?)...

Hmm i see! I use the-darkvoids script to compile the DSDT, however I tried to do a new compilation now with a new dump from clover in case something occurred the last time, but it did not help.. Any way to debug this?

I read through the boot log now, looking for things that may be related to wifi and these are the ones i found that may be linked to the problem. Note they are far apart in the log file. Any thoughts?
Code:
26/02/15 17:22:35,000 kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Down on en0. Reason 8 (Disassociated because station leaving).
26/02/15 17:22:35,000 kernel[0]: en0::IO80211Interface::postMessage bssid changed
26/02/15 17:22:49,608 sharingd[266]: 17:22:49.607 : Device Capabilities (Handoff:NO, Instant Hotspot:NO, AirDrop:YES, Legacy AirDrop:YES, Remote Disc:YES)
26/02/15 17:23:04,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHCIController][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport! 
26/02/15 17:23:10,889 System Preferences[415]: Failed to connect (WirelessAdapterSettingBox) outlet from (SiteSurveyController) to (NSBox): missing setter or instance variable
I also looked in wifi.log, and over the last couple of days I have had these:
Code:
Wed Feb 25 09:59:09.179 <airportd[31]> airportdProcessDLILEvent: en0 attached (up)
Wed Feb 25 11:06:34.007 <kernel> wl0: powerChange: *** BONJOUR/MDNS OFFLOADS ARE NOT RUNNING.
Wed Feb 25 11:06:34.144 <kernel> wl0: leaveModulePoweredForOffloads: Wi-Fi will turn off.

Mon Feb 23 10:58:00.157 <airportd[31]> _handleLinkEvent: WiFi is not powered. Resetting state variables.

Thanks for the help, this is really frustrating and I hope I wont have to shelve the card.

If you are lucky you may be able to do the same type of modification that was used on pin 20 for mPCIe cards...

I've not been able to locate a pinout for the WLAN card but this is for a WWAN card that uses the same NGFF key slot that the BCM card that you have uses.

These three are the only pins that are talked about regarding disabling / power for the card. Its possible they may be the same ones used for WLAN on NGFF cards that are keyed in this manner.

Pin 6 is called "Power_On_Off" -- A single control to turn On/Off WWAN. When it is Low, WWAN is powered off. When it is High, WWAN is powered on. It is internally pulled to Low. It is 3.3 V tolerant but can be driven by either 1.8 V or 3.3 V GPIO.

Pin 8 is called "W_DISABLE#" -- WWAN disable function When it is High, WWAN function is determined by software AT command. Default enabled. When it is Low, WWAN function will be turned off.

Pin 26 is called "GPS_DISABLE#" -- GPS disable function When it is High, GPS function is determined by Software AT command. When it is Low, GPS will be turned off.

The card works in Windows, and in Linux (albeit after a sleep cycle) but not in OSX. The card is recognised by Yosemite, but the status is displayed as off and I am unable to turn it on. The bluetooth is only recognised and functioning after a sleep cycle.

To install Yosemite I have followed the guide posted by the-darkvoid: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-guides/144351-guide-dell-xps-9530-using-clover-uefi.html

DPCIManager lists the card as builtin and on en0.

View attachment 128034View attachment 128035View attachment 128033

I thought this might be related to some BIOS setting, as it was listed in Linux as "Disabled by HW switch", however I have updated the BIOS, and reset to default settings with no results.

Any help and ideas will be very much appreciated, as I paid a lot of money for this card and I would really like to have it working.

I know this thread is old but I ran into this exact problem the other day and spent too much time finding a resolution. My solution was very simple.

See how you have "Location: Automatic" in your Network Panel (screenshot 128034)? Click on that drop-down and choose to edit location. Click on the Plus icon to create a new entry and give it a name. Mine just says US. Once you set that location as a choice, you should then select that new location. Now try to enable your Wifi. This worked for me. Note: You may need to add the Wi-Fi device back to the list if it disappears when you change locations.

Hope this helps someone because it was a huge headache for me.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back