Contribute
Register

Brand new Hackintosh user preparing to construct no-holds-barred top-of-the-line music computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus X299
CPU
i9-10920X
Graphics
NVIDIA GT 710
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi all, yet another newbie here. I would like to ask what would be recommended for a cost-is-no-object Hackintosh. I do music for TV and movies professionally and need something extremely reliable -- right now I'm on the trashcan Mac Pro (bought in 2015), and am exhausted with the limitations of Mac hardware/processors. I'm running Cubase, Pro Tools, and Studio One with an Apollo 8 (Thunderbolt). My Mac Pro is extremely stable but the processing is far below what my Windows composer friends have with their PCs because it's Xeon, which is not as good as certain other processors for DAWs from what I've been learning. I'm on Sierra right now, but am open to older OS's if I need to. Sierra works great for everything, for me.

So! I want the most powerful Hackintosh I can get my hands on performance-wise.

1. Video is not a concern for me -- I don't need an amazing video card, just something decent that supports two monitors (I don't care about and have no used for 4k, Retina, etc).

2. 64gb RAM capability

3. The highest performance processors for DAW use -- again, cost is no object, I just want the highest plugin count I can possibly get. :) I do gigantic scoring and mixing projects that easily hit the wall on the 6-core Xeon 3.7gHz in my Mac Pro.

4. Thunderbolt: Yes, absolutely needed. TB2, hopefully with TB3 option for the future.

5. I'm all SSD these days (4 drives total - 1 for system, 1 for audio, 2 for sample libraries).

6. No DVD-R drive...I haven't needed one of those in about three years now.

So...no-holds-barred, what's the most powerful (while also being being very reliable) system I can put together? I would greatly appreciate your recommendations.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I'd love to know if you got any further with your search Noah? I want to dot he same but I'm not sure if running apps like Logic Pro where channel strips operate on a single core would favour a Xeon multi core or it doesn't matter and an I7 would do just as well with less cores.

Hi all, yet another newbie here. I would like to ask what would be recommended for a cost-is-no-object Hackintosh. I do music for TV and movies professionally and need something extremely reliable -- right now I'm on the trashcan Mac Pro (bought in 2015), and am exhausted with the limitations of Mac hardware/processors. I'm running Cubase, Pro Tools, and Studio One with an Apollo 8 (Thunderbolt). My Mac Pro is extremely stable but the processing is far below what my Windows composer friends have with their PCs because it's Xeon, which is not as good as certain other processors for DAWs from what I've been learning. I'm on Sierra right now, but am open to older OS's if I need to. Sierra works great for everything, for me.

So! I want the most powerful Hackintosh I can get my hands on performance-wise.

1. Video is not a concern for me -- I don't need an amazing video card, just something decent that supports two monitors (I don't care about and have no used for 4k, Retina, etc).

2. 64gb RAM capability

3. The highest performance processors for DAW use -- again, cost is no object, I just want the highest plugin count I can possibly get. :) I do gigantic scoring and mixing projects that easily hit the wall on the 6-core Xeon 3.7gHz in my Mac Pro.

4. Thunderbolt: Yes, absolutely needed. TB2, hopefully with TB3 option for the future.

5. I'm all SSD these days (4 drives total - 1 for system, 1 for audio, 2 for sample libraries).

6. No DVD-R drive...I haven't needed one of those in about three years now.

So...no-holds-barred, what's the most powerful (while also being being very reliable) system I can put together? I would greatly appreciate your recommendations.

Thank you!

Howdy!

I'm in a very similar position, currently owning a MacPro 3,1 with 8-core Xeon's, running Pro Tools 12.6 with a Digi 002, UAD PCIe accelerator cards, and the system is clearly showing its age. I decided on a Hackintosh configuration (versus a new iMac, primarily due to the extra cost for PCIe expansion and Thunderbolt chassis) and placed an order for the following items, which will start arriving this week from Amazon:
Total damage was a bit over $3K, which provides a sweet monitor, and all the expandability I'll ever need. I settled on the GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 MB since it has Thunderbolt 3 built-in, and can accommodate add-on Thunderbolt cards if necessary. Compare this to a new iMac with similar specs, and add the external drives, PCIe expansion chassis, etc. and I was well north of $4K.

I'm confident the better MB architecture (with wider lanes and better throughput) plus 4.2GHz i7 CPU will blow away my current Xeon 8-core configuration.

Good luck!

Howdy!

I'm in a very similar position, currently owning a MacPro 3,1 with 8-core Xeon's, running Pro Tools 12.6 with a Digi 002, UAD PCIe accelerator cards, and the system is clearly showing its age. I decided on a Hackintosh configuration (versus a new iMac, primarily due to the extra cost for PCIe expansion and Thunderbolt chassis) and placed an order for the following items, which will start arriving this week from Amazon:
Total damage was a bit over $3K, which provides a sweet monitor, and all the expandability I'll ever need. I settled on the GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 MB since it has Thunderbolt 3 built-in, and can accommodate add-on Thunderbolt cards if necessary. Compare this to a new iMac with similar specs, and add the external drives, PCIe expansion chassis, etc. and I was well north of $4K.

I'm confident the better MB architecture (with wider lanes and better throughput) plus 4.2GHz i7 CPU will blow away my current Xeon 8-core configuration.

Good luck!

Any of you guys in Los Angeles by any chance? I'm looking to build a system for audio production as well. I don't know about you guys but it might be worth to mention that the system should be as silent as possible no?

Any of you guys in Los Angeles by any chance? I'm looking to build a system for audio production as well. I don't know about you guys but it might be worth to mention that the system should be as silent as possible no?

Sorry, not any longer (but I moved from Simi Valley 12 years ago)!

Nonetheless, my config definitely considered noise, and that's why I chose that Corsair quiet case, the intelligent power supply (that turns on the fan only when necessary), and the CPU cooler with dual fans that shouldn't breathe very hard. All my drives are SSD's, except the 4TB Barracuda, which I'll be using for backups, and that can probably be set to spin down when not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back