Contribute
Register

Brand new Build, Do I need new Thermal Paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H
CPU
i5 4670K
Graphics
HD 4600
I am building an i5 4670K with a Z87MX-D3H motherboard, just installed the CPU and stock cooler, but in my n00bness, after a few minutes needed to remove the cooler for a second and reseat it (don't ask). :banghead: The cooler came with the paste already applied.

Do I need to strip and reapply new thermal paste, or since it was very fresh and the computer has never even booted up should I be OK? I know the general rule is that if contact is broken between a CPU and heatsink that new paste MUST be applied, but I was wondering if that applied in this case. (I don't know how this stuff works)

Don't have any handy and would have to go to the store tomorrow and buy some. And I'm afraid I won't be able to properly install the cooler if the motherboard is installed in the case, so this is holding up the whole build.

Thanks...

New paste is recommended as a general rule because it's assumed that the old paste has become dry and won't create a complete seal if used again. However, as you've described your situation, the paste is new and hasn't yet dried out. As long as the paste is sufficiently spread out to cover the entire contact area, it should be just fine. The goal is to transfer heat from the cpu to the heat sink. With that in mind, you only want enough heat sink paste to create a thin layer to assure good transfer. More is not better, since excess paste does not improve heat transfer but rather actually decreases it.

So, if the old paste has not dried out then you do not need to apply a new coating? Is that what I am reading here? (I face a similar situation to the OP.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back