Contribute
Register

Bootloader questions: resolution, hiding partitions, USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. LC
  5. Performa
  6. Plus
  7. PowerBook
  8. SE
  9. SE/30
I've got a few questions about the Chameleon boot loader, which is working fine on my system but I want to make it work better:

- It displays both partitions on my Windows 7 drive: "System Reserved" and "Windows". I can't boot directly into my Windows partition; I have to boot into System Reserved and that'll load Windows. How can I make Chameleon display the first partition as "Windows" and not display the second partition? (That is, can I edit the boot menu like I can in grub?)

- When I have an external USB drive attached, Chameleon dies as soon as it's loaded and reboots the computer. When I notice the computer stuck in an endless reboot cycle, I pull the USB cable out and then it boots fine. How do I make it not die when I simply have the drive attached?

- On my 1920x1080 display, the boot menu is badly stretched horizontally, and even the grey Apple boot screen has a very fat apple on it. (It's fine when it gets to the login screen, though.) I've tried setting the resolution in com.apple.Boot.plist, but that hasn't had any effect. What's the right way to set the resolution of the bootloader screen and the Apple boot screen?

Thank you for your help!

bkendig said:
I've got a few questions about the Chameleon boot loader, which is working fine on my system but I want to make it work better:

- It displays both partitions on my Windows 7 drive: "System Reserved" and "Windows". I can't boot directly into my Windows partition; I have to boot into System Reserved and that'll load Windows. How can I make Chameleon display the first partition as "Windows" and not display the second partition? (That is, can I edit the boot menu like I can in grub?)

- When I have an external USB drive attached, Chameleon dies as soon as it's loaded and reboots the computer. When I notice the computer stuck in an endless reboot cycle, I pull the USB cable out and then it boots fine. How do I make it not die when I simply have the drive attached?

- On my 1920x1080 display, the boot menu is badly stretched horizontally, and even the grey Apple boot screen has a very fat apple on it. (It's fine when it gets to the login screen, though.) I've tried setting the resolution in com.apple.Boot.plist, but that hasn't had any effect. What's the right way to set the resolution of the bootloader screen and the Apple boot screen?

Thank you for your help!
When booted into Win7, left click on start, right click on computer, left click on "Manage" in the pop-up menu. This gets you to your Computer Management screen
In the left pane you should see an icon labeled Storage with an open triangle pointed to the right. Click on the triangle and it turns solid and rotates 45 degrees. Below is shows an icon labeled Disk Management. Left click on it.
You now have a list of all hard drives seen by Win7 in the right pane. Find the one that has a partition labeled "System Reserved". Right click on System Reserved partition, select properties. On the General tab you can rename this partition anything you want. Same for the NTFS partition.
As far as hiding the partition - determine your NTFS partition ID using diskutil list in terminal and edit your com.apple.boot.plist to add the key:

<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>hd(1,3)</string>

where hd 1 is your Win7 hard drive and partition 3 is your NTFS partition you want to hide.

EDIT: You can also use the name of the partition instead of the hd(1,3) in the string.

I Did exactly what "Going Bald" posted and it works perfect...

Going Bald, I was wondering can you tell me how to hide both NTFS partitions in OSX, I have figured out how to hide them on the desktop but when I click on "Computer" they still show... I have tried several terminal commands that have not worked.. any help would be great...thx..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back