Contribute
Register

Bootloader (Chimera) boots straight into windows 7 (DUAL BOOT Yosemite/Windows 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
octinator
CPU
i5-4690k
Graphics
MSI GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I'm sorry if any of this sounds extremely "Noobie" as I am not very familliar with Hackintoshing.

I got both Windows 7 and Yosemite working but I have to use the USB because the bootloader does not work. I've tried googling solutions for this problem but I had no luck. I have already installed the Chimera boot loader on Yosemite and when i reboot it boots straight into windows and I have no idea why.. Any help is appreciated.

I also used the Unibeast Yosemite installer to prepare the USB.

SPECS:
I5-4690k
1TB HDD
8GB Ram
Gigabyte B85M-DS3H

Thanks all :)

Hi, I'm sorry if any of this sounds extremely "Noobie" as I am not very familliar with Hackintoshing.

I got both Windows 7 and Yosemite working but I have to use the USB because the bootloader does not work. I've tried googling solutions for this problem but I had no luck. I have already installed the Chimera boot loader on Yosemite and when i reboot it boots straight into windows and I have no idea why.. Any help is appreciated.

SPECS:
I5-4690k
1TB HDD
8GB Ram
Gigabyte B85M-DS3H

In my personal view installing more than one Operating systems in a Hard disk drive in different partitions is not a very good choice for the following reasons:

• Just in case you have a hardware damage you loss two or more OSes and also your saved personal files (unless you have used another drive or drives to back them up or in Cloud storage)
  • During updates or upgrade of one system there is always a risk of loss of OS that is harder to fix with more than one OS in the same drive.
I always use separate HDD for each OS as the price of SATA HDD have become more affordable over the years and now a days even the SSDs have also come down in price.
Now that is out of the way , may I ask you in what order you have created your Dual boot system.?
Did you create Windows 7 first followed by Hackintosh or Hackintosh followed by Windows. You know Windows OS has the tendency to overwrite other system's Boot-loader making them unbootable.
Next things is asking you to list your BIOS setup options in the current system

To make your hardware specs easily accessible through out the thread, please update your Profile,
From top RIGHT of this page click on Profile> System: [your Motherboard with its BIOS version]
Fill other options appropriately.

I guess you used the Unibeast Yosemite USB Installer to build Yosemite OSX system Indicating its version ( I guess it is current Unibeast 5.1) and the Multibeast indicating version ( I guess 7.3) are important information in your presentation at the outset to prepare your readers to give you their best ideas.

My best guess with the available data is that either you had installed Windows after Yosemite or your BIOS Settings are not appropriate for Yosemite booting or you have not installed the Chimera /Chameleon Bootloader correctly on the Yosemite disk.

Now give us all the data you can

SPECS:
I5-4690k
1TB HDD
8GB Ram
Gigabyte B85M-DS3H

Please update your Profile clicking Profile on the menu bar at top RIGHT of this page and in System:[ your MoBO (with BIOS Version if possible) and other hardware SPECS in other named sections
in that page. This will ensure readers getting your SPECS through out the thread without having to scroll back to this post.

• Did you install Stand alone Chimera or used the current Multibeast 7.3 for Yosemite to install Chimera 4.1.0 on your Yosemite HDD? If the latter did you make any other choices there ?(Please list) ?
  • Did you Install Windows 7 first or Yosemite first on the respective partitions? You may be aware of Windows tendency to overwrite other system's bootloader.
  • What BIOS settings have you chosen for your current setup? Please list
  • What boot flags if any you had used during Yosemite Installation? Please list

Usually it is not a good idea to install two or more different OSes with different boot loaders and file systems from a single hard disk with multiple partitions . This makes installation and troubleshoot more difficult and more likely to affect one or more systems adversely during update and upgrade of systems. Hard disk failure can cause loss of more than one system at the same time and bigger personal data loss more likely to occur in that scenario. This is my personal view especially when the price of HDD (SATA/Hybrid/SSD ) have come down.

Please update your Profile clicking Profile on the menu bar at top RIGHT of this page and in System:[ your MoBO (with BIOS Version if possible) and other hardware SPECS in other named sections
in that page. This will ensure readers getting your SPECS through out the thread without having to scroll back to this post.

• Did you install Stand alone Chimera or used the current Multibeast 7.3 for Yosemite to install Chimera 4.1.0 on your Yosemite HDD? If the latter did you make any other choices there ?(Please list) ?
  • Did you Install Windows 7 first or Yosemite first on the respective partitions? You may be aware of Windows tendency to overwrite other system's bootloader.
  • What BIOS settings have you chosen for your current setup? Please list
  • What boot flags if any you had used during Yosemite Installation? Please list

Usually it is not a good idea to install two or more different OSes with different boot loaders and file systems from a single hard disk with multiple partitions . This makes installation and troubleshoot more difficult and more likely to affect one or more systems adversely during update and upgrade of systems. Hard disk failure can cause loss of more than one system at the same time and bigger personal data loss more likely to occur in that scenario. This is my personal view especially when the price of HDD (SATA/Hybrid/SSD ) have come down.

Hello and thank you so much for your response! I really do appreciate it!

I did try Standalone Chimera and MultiBeast Chimera both and i also installed Yosemite first

The bootflags during setup were: -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000

and what BIOS settings do you need?

Thanks again for the reply.

I also used the Unibeast Yosemite installer to prepare the USB.

SPECS:
I5-4690k
1TB HDD
8GB Ram
Gigabyte B85M-DS3H

Probably boot0 issue (when you have Windows installed, you go right to Window instead of boot0 error).

http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

Hello and thank you so much for your response! I really do appreciate it!

I did try Standalone Chimera and MultiBeast Chimera both and
i also installed Yosemite first
The bootflags during setup were: -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000

and what BIOS settings do you need?

Thanks again for the reply.

There is a strong possibility Windows have corrupted your Chimera bootloader when it came after Yosemite installation.

The repair of this problem can be more complex and time consuming than re-installation of Yosemite in the chosen partition unless you have a separate HDD in which case, it is even better and safer.
If you boot with your Unibeast Yosemite USB installer you are more likely to see both the Windows and Yosemite partition even now.

Before you booth with that USB installer, enter the BIOS setup make the choices for Yosemite Installation: I don't know all your BIOS setup options. but in general for Gigabyte MoBo the following are the usual.

• Make sure the System Time -Date Year are current to your Time zone

• [FONT=&amp]SATA Mode: AHCI[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Peripherals>xHCI Mode>Auto[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Peripherals>xHCI Hand-off>ENABLED[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Peripherals>EHCI Hand-off>ENABLED[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Peripherals>Internal Graphics>Enabled[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Power Management>Wake on Lan>DISABLED[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]BIOS Features>VT-d>DISABLED[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]BIOS Features>Boot Mode Selection>Legacy[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Make your USB Installer as Boot 1 and HDD Boot 2 in Boot Sequence Menu[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Save and Exit [/FONT]

1. [FONT=&amp]Use the Boot flags [/FONT][FONT=&amp]you had previously used during install for Unibeast Yosemite[/FONT][FONT=&amp]USB Installer [/FONT][FONT=&amp]boot.[/FONT]
  2. In Installer screen >disk Utility > Locate your prior Yosemite Partition or new SATA HDD if you plan to install
  3. If Prior partition then select>Erase like done before other wise Partition and format the new SATA HDD.
  4. Exit Disk utility >Install like you did before
  5. Automatic reboot select your newly second time created Yos disk> Boot with boot flags previously used for USB installer
  6. Complete the install and account creation etc
  7. System Preferences> Security and Permissions> Unlock> Sign>Allow Apps download >Anywhere.
  8. Finder (on Dock) >Finder [on top menu bar ]>Preferences>(Check) Hard disks [This brings your HDD on Desktop]
  9. Apple icon[ menu bar ]>About This Mac>System Report...> Hardware

• Audio
  • Ethernet card
  • Graphics & Display
Check the above devices for their names and loaded kexts and write down to give us data
Check if you have Ethernet IP address already

10. Download and install Multibeast 7.3 Yosemite and make choices DSDT Free and Drivers if needed >Build>Install successfully
11. Reboot >F12>Yosemite HDD>Boot with -v to see if you can boot successfully or it gets stopped .
12. If it gets stopped, take a screen photo legible enough for you to upload here to read the screen for clues.

Good luck

There is a strong possibility Windows have corrupted your Chimera bootloader when it came after Yosemite installation.

The repair of this problem can be more complex and time consuming than re-installation of Yosemite in the chosen partition unless you have a separate HDD in which case, it is even better and safer.
If you boot with your Unibeast Yosemite USB installer you are more likely to see both the Windows and Yosemite partition even now.

Before you booth with that USB installer, enter the BIOS setup make the choices for Yosemite Installation: I don't know all your BIOS setup options. but in general for Gigabyte MoBo the following are the usual.

• Make sure the System Time -Date Year are current to your Time zone

• [FONT=&amp]SATA Mode: AHCI[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Peripherals>xHCI Mode>Auto[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Peripherals>xHCI Hand-off>ENABLED[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Peripherals>EHCI Hand-off>ENABLED[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Peripherals>Internal Graphics>Enabled[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Power Management>Wake on Lan>DISABLED[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]BIOS Features>VT-d>DISABLED[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]BIOS Features>Boot Mode Selection>Legacy[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Make your USB Installer as Boot 1 and HDD Boot 2 in Boot Sequence Menu[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Save and Exit [/FONT]

1. [FONT=&amp]Use the Boot flags [/FONT][FONT=&amp]you had previously used during install for Unibeast Yosemite[/FONT][FONT=&amp]USB Installer [/FONT][FONT=&amp]boot.[/FONT]
  2. In Installer screen >disk Utility > Locate your prior Yosemite Partition or new SATA HDD if you plan to install
  3. If Prior partition then select>Erase like done before other wise Partition and format the new SATA HDD.
  4. Exit Disk utility >Install like you did before
  5. Automatic reboot select your newly second time created Yos disk> Boot with boot flags previously used for USB installer
  6. Complete the install and account creation etc
  7. System Preferences> Security and Permissions> Unlock> Sign>Allow Apps download >Anywhere.
  8. Finder (on Dock) >Finder [on top menu bar ]>Preferences>(Check) Hard disks [This brings your HDD on Desktop]
  9. Apple icon[ menu bar ]>About This Mac>System Report...> Hardware

• Audio
  • Ethernet card
  • Graphics & Display
Check the above devices for their names and loaded kexts and write down to give us data
Check if you have Ethernet IP address already

10. Download and install Multibeast 7.3 Yosemite and make choices DSDT Free and Drivers if needed >Build>Install successfully
11. Reboot >F12>Yosemite HDD>Boot with -v to see if you can boot successfully or it gets stopped .
12. If it gets stopped, take a screen photo legible enough for you to upload here to read the screen for clues.

Good luck

Thank you for the response i will try this.

Hello RehabMan, i tried that and I DID get into the bootloader, but i got an error when i tried to start Yosemite that said "can't find mach_kernel" and i tried to look for solutions to fix that but had no luck.

It means you have an incorrect org.chameleon.Boot.plist (you have "Kernel"="mach_kernel"), or incorrect bootloader (one not updated for Yosemite), or you're loading org.chameleon.Boot.plist from somewhere you don't expect, or your system is corrupt and /System/Library/Kernels/kernel is missing.

Note: Another cause for going direct to Windows is if you install Windows UEFI, the BIOS will prefer UEFI over a legacy bootloader such as Chimera/Chameleon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back