Contribute
Register

Booting Successfully From USB Port Not From Internal Sata Port

Hello,
Here is how i do things :

Prepare a new USB 2.0 installation stick.

Make a note/photos/etc of the actual environment (BIOS, cables, slots, settings, etc)
Phisically remove the WORKING storage(s) (SATA, nvme ).

Insert the new/spare storage (SATA, nvme) in the proper port.
Re-check the BIOS settings ( boot options)
Insert the USB2.0, start the procedure to install the new OS (Sonoma).
Test. Test. (Test).
Reset nvram whenever EFI's item are modified.

This way, you have no interferences between storages ( their EFIs are un-related )

Later, you may try to re-add the original WORKING storage.

So, here there is no such thing as "internal(SATA? Nvme?)/external(USB)" port.
============

Always, when installing an OS, you should keep only the necessary parts related to that specific installation.
This is also true if you have a previous/future Windows/Linux installation.

============

Walk this way and your pain should be 0.

Of course, if you want to study/tinker ( I do this too ) your "problem" is interesting ...
For these cases, I have a second PC which supports anything (build/test/break).

Cheers :)
UPdate:

Thank you Cosmic.

I have followed all the steps you have suggested and I have found out the problem.

I am installing Sonoma 14.4 and as I discussed I had to use AppleIGC.kext to make the ethernet work (I also used as booting e1000=0). And it all works perfectly if booting from a USB port.

However, if I use AppleIGC.kext the otherwise perfect boot disc does not boot anymore from a SATA port. And if I do not use the AppleGC.kext for my Intel 225I-V ethernet controller I do not get internet connection (and it eventually crashes).

Any thoughts how I can make both (i) the SSD work from my SATA port and (ii) also make the ethernet Intel 225I-V card work?

Thanks.

UPdate:

Thank you Cosmic.

I have followed all the steps you have suggested and I have found out the problem.
... so, you have prepared a valid USB stick ( disk utility )

Download the latest Sonoma macOS (14.4.1) app from Apple :

Use createinstallmedia to transfer the app onto your USB stick.

Use OpenCore vers 0.9.9 stuff to prepare your EFI folder, then copy this EFI folder to your USB stick.

Check your BIOS settings, set the USB stick as the first/only bootable device.

Remove any un-necessary storage, keep only the destination SSD disk in its SATA port !

Use the USB stick to begin the installation.

What happens ?

I am installing Sonoma 14.4
Are you installing as outlined above (from the USB stick) ?

and as I discussed I had to use AppleIGC.kext to make the ethernet work (I also used as booting e1000=0). And it all works perfectly if booting from a USB port.
If you are installing from the bootable USB stick, does the procedure have any inconsistency ?

However, if I use AppleIGC.kext the otherwise perfect boot disc does not boot anymore from a SATA port. And if I do not use the AppleGC.kext for my Intel 225I-V ethernet controller I do not get internet connection (and it eventually crashes).
Try to install :
a) using AppleIGC.kext in your EFI
b) not using AppleIGC.kext in your EFI
c) if possible, temporarily add a cheap Realtek Gbit PCIe card ( to bypass your problems)

Do not mess things with additional storage(s) ( like Windows, other macOS versions ).

PS : you may also run the above procedure using the DEBUG version of OpenCore !

Cheers :)

I solved the problem.

I made he I225-V Ethernet controller on my Ausus z-490 board working by following open cores guide:

NO AppleIGC or e1000=0 necessary. I turned on Vt-d in my bios. That did the trick.

AppleIGC conflicted with my SATA such that I could not boot from any SATA port (although other SATA drives were recognized if I booted from a USB port).

The Guide linked above seems to be the cleanest way to make the I225-V ethernet adapter work.

Back