Contribute
Register

Booting a Z390 with 128GB RAM? (32GB UDIMM issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z790 UD
CPU
G6900
Graphics
RX 6600
Tried two different Z390 motherboards with latest BIOS for 32GB UDIMM support. Can boot into Windows without any issue. But on Mojave and Catalina Ii can't even boot the installer, getting stuck at "End RandomSeed" with a bunch of +++++++++ signs.

Tried changing the regular AptioMemoryFix to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 but still getting same error...
Tried booting with single 32GB UDIMM in any slot, still the same. Windows OK, but not OSX...

Anyone?

Hi! You can try with my EFI for Z390.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 123
You could try filling in the values for the Memory key in Clover SMBIOS section: https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/wiki/SMBIOS/#memory

The Clover SPD code is very complicated, and if there are bugs, specifying this info manually is the way around it.

Alternatively, if it still doesn't work, you can use this config key to tell it they're 16GB DIMMs and hopefully get it booting but with half the RAM.

BTW: DDR4 is an okay 'Type' value - the documentation is outdated, there

I recently had similar issue on my Asus Z390-I which only has two DIMM slots, when I was installing 2x32Gb DIMMS. Worked great in Windows, “+++++++” on my hack.

In the end, I’m using AptioMemFix (with boot arg “slide=0” In my case) and specified my memory sticks as KyleC recommended above.

The weird bit, is that it seems to have only worked when I specified 4x16Gb sticks. I still need to do some final testing be 100% certain this was necessary for me, but I tested with an identical config.plist but configured for two slots which did not appear to work. But, I have been running rock solid for two weeks like this.

Hi! You can try with my EFI for Z390.
Getting exactly the same results with your EFI, with 16GB RAM sticks i can boot fine, with 32GB sticks it's getting stuck on ++++++ signs.

Perhaps it will let you set it up as 8x16GB.
Thanks, i'll try to configure it in Clover.

Btw, it's booting fine from High-Sierra USB installer, the problem is only with Mojave and Catalina.

Can't edit the memory values in Clover Configurator, after saving and re-opening the plist file all my edits disappear. It happens with the latest configurator and older 5.4.1.1 too...

Yeah I'm not surprised- it's convenient and I use it all the time, but it's so buggy.

I guess you'll have to do it with a text editor, then. Do you know how to format XML?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back