Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Z97 Anniv - Boot0: GPT Huh? and Can't boot without USB

I have an i7-4790K ASROCK Z97 Anniversary NV 970-4GB system working fine with 10.10.3.

So I made a SuperDupe of the SSD boot drive and put it in a new i7-4790K box with the same MB, just the video card is different, a Dataland R9 270X -2GB.

I could not get the system to boot, BIOS would say no boot system found. I could always boot by starting with the Unibeast USB stick, then selecting the SSD.

So I updated the MB BIOS to 1.50 (the working box has 1.40). Now I get the enclosed screen shot when it fails to boot with no USB stick.

I have been booting with the USB stick and re-running Multibeast, trying different things, but I'm shooting in the dark as I don't understand the boot sequence. I can't add any boot flags when not booting because the Boot0: message occurs before any mac/hack screens. Booting with the USB stick, it runs OK, the video is identified as AMD Radeon HD 7xxx.

Anyone know what this boot0: message means? Any remedies? THANK YOU.

20150426_170956_resized.jpg

I have an i7-4790K ASROCK Z97 Anniversary NV 970-4GB system working fine with 10.10.3.

So I made a SuperDupe of the SSD boot drive and put it in a new i7-4790K box with the same MB, just the video card is different, a Dataland R9 270X -2GB.

I could not get the system to boot, BIOS would say no boot system found. I could always boot by starting with the Unibeast USB stick, then selecting the SSD.

So I updated the MB BIOS to 1.50 (the working box has 1.40). Now I get the enclosed screen shot when it fails to boot with no USB stick.

I have been booting with the USB stick and re-running Multibeast, trying different things, but I'm shooting in the dark as I don't understand the boot sequence. I can't add any boot flags when not booting because the Boot0: message occurs before any mac/hack screens. Booting with the USB stick, it runs OK, the video is identified as AMD Radeon HD 7xxx.

Anyone know what this boot0: message means? Any remedies? THANK YOU.

View attachment 135454

Follow the Guide : http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/115818-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Thanks, Jithin! Not sure how best to proceed. The problem is the AMD R9 270x card. If I move the SSD to the "identical" system with the NV 970, it boots and works just fine. In the system with the AMD R9 270x I can only boot with the integrated graphics (or a USB stick).

Can a boot block just be written to the EFI partition? I can't see 4k disk sectors being the cause. How is the large video BIOS related?

There's a trick mentioned in this thread

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/92710-10-8-3-amd-radeon-hd-7xxx-graphics-testing-thread.html

that suggests on-the-fly switching between integrated graphics and the AMD. But I don't quite understand the sequence. There seems to be a way to make the PC start invisibly booting with the Integrated but with the monitor connected to the AMD, and have the boot continue on the AMD?

So is the R9 270X just messed up like the 7xxx ? What's the current status on the 7xxx cards?

COULD IT BE as simple as re-partitioning the SSD "MBR"?

Thanks, Jithin! Not sure how best to proceed. The problem is the AMD R9 270x card. If I move the SSD to the "identical" system with the NV 970, it boots and works just fine. In the system with the AMD R9 270x I can only boot with the integrated graphics (or a USB stick).

Can a boot block just be written to the EFI partition? I can't see 4k disk sectors being the cause. How is the large video BIOS related?

There's a trick mentioned in this thread

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/92710-10-8-3-amd-radeon-hd-7xxx-graphics-testing-thread.html

that suggests on-the-fly switching between integrated graphics and the AMD. But I don't quite understand the sequence. There seems to be a way to make the PC start invisibly booting with the Integrated but with the monitor connected to the AMD, and have the boot continue on the AMD?

So is the R9 270X just messed up like the 7xxx ? What's the current status on the 7xxx cards?

COULD IT BE as simple as re-partitioning the SSD "MBR"?

Already linked the solution guide on the post#2. Have you followed it??

Was 3/4 of the way through moving stuff to the EFI partition, when the machine froze. Second time this evening. That's twice too many.

This is my second iBuyPower i7 system this month, and while the first was a open box, not much wrong with it (iBuyPower is replacing the radiator and front door) and a great deal, with a SSD and a 4gb NV 970 (I'm typing on it now), the second one seems like it's got (at least) a power supply problem. Since now I know the AMD is a troublesome dog anyway, it's going back.

Thanks for your help. I may try to complete the EFI move tomorrow just to see and report here, before I pack it up. But it sounds like MBR might be a solution.

Was 3/4 of the way through moving stuff to the EFI partition, when the machine froze. Second time this evening. That's twice too many.

This is my second iBuyPower i7 system this month, and while the first was a open box, not much wrong with it (iBuyPower is replacing the radiator and front door) and a great deal, with a SSD and a 4gb NV 970 (I'm typing on it now), the second one seems like it's got (at least) a power supply problem. Since now I know the AMD is a troublesome dog anyway, it's going back.

Thanks for your help. I may try to complete the EFI move tomorrow just to see and report here, before I pack it up. But it sounds like MBR might be a solution.

What you mean by MRB might be the solution??

OS X cannot be installed on MBR, it requires GPT.

Your Asus motherboard may fail to do legacy boot from GPT Disk, That't why mentioned the guide to follow.

Otherwise install CLOVER.

Warm thanks for your help, Jithin, but I gave up on this machine as it froze on me a couple of times that evening. Given the AMD R9 270X problems, no time for this, it's now on its way back to Newegg. And it's the last time I buy a PC with an AMD card.

BTW, it was not an ASUS MB, it was an ASROCK Z97 Anniversary, a MB that's running and booting fine from the exact same media with an NV 970 card.

The problem was not 4K segments or legacy MB w/ GPT, it had to be related to the AMD card, because the same exact system would boot fine if I just BIOS'ed the internal graphics to primary. As to no OsX on MBR, I have a system downstairs that's running OsX 10.8.4 just fine on a Crucial SSD that's partitioned MBR.

a MB that's running and booting fine from the exact same media with an NV 970 card.

The problem was not 4K segments or legacy MB w/ GPT, it had to be related to the AMD card,

The solution given above is for Rx-200 series graphics cards too. At least try to read the linked thread before assuming something.

The AMD cards normally work fine, indeed they are pretty easy to setup and get working.

Jithin has given the right information, simply following the EFI guide will work. The problem is not the graphics card, it is the way it boots, you must install the EFI mod as linked previously. Once you do that (10-15 mins) your machine should boot correctly.

>> The problem was not 4K segments or legacy MB w/ GPT, it had to be related to the AMD card,
>> because the same exact system would boot fine if I just BIOS'ed the internal graphics to primary.
>> As to no OsX on MBR, I have a system downstairs that's running OsX 10.8.4 just fine on a Crucial >> SSD that's partitioned MBR.

Yes you are correct. This does not mean there is a massive unknown problem with the AMD card per se, it means that the AMD cards need the EFI mod made to work correctly. This is a known, recognised, documented and solved issue. Its not an ongoing problem, once you do the EFI mod, thats it, job done, forget about it. We have the same issue with OS X, it doesn't work immediately with any PC on the planet, we have to 'massage' it to get it to work with specific hardware. Thats the cost of doing a Hackintosh. Using the internal graphics proves the point, that does not need the EFI mod which we know, the AMD cards do.

nVidia cards have just as many foibles and issues. e.g. they work slowly with some Apple programs, they require beta drivers downloaded from nVidia every time Apple updates the OS X, e.g. going to 10.10.3 broke many nVidia drivers. My AMD 280x cards never missed a beat, and have worked reliably through all the upgrades. However I know that for some things, nVidia are a better card.

Just a minute! I TRULY and GENUINELY appreciate all the effort around here but I don't understand being browbeaten for not just following the voodoo. By voodoo I mean passed-on recipes that all too often aren't supported by clear reasoning or engineering info. I don't know EXACTLY how the AMD card interacts to cause the failure, but it does. I would love to know how. There's so much BS folklore in the mac-and-hack field that it's making it hard to find actual information.

I explained that I was not finishing the EFI move - NOT out of laziness or lack of devotion, but because the hardware was failing.

I suppose I should follow current 21st century practice and say nothing for fear of retaliation. But I'm not the one "not trying (bothering) to read" or "assuming something". I DID read all the links, and beyond. WHAT are you saying I'm assuming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back