Contribute
Register

boot0 error

Status
Not open for further replies.
aperfectenemy said:
begg said:
For me to get around the boot0 error helped to manually install the boot1h file while the partition where Lion is installed was unmounted.

1. copy unpacked chimera 1.5.4 to USB stick or a second partition if you have one
2. boot from USB Installer
3. at the install screen go to DiskUtility and unmount the partition where you have installed Lion, close DiskUtility
4. open Terminal and go to chimera/usr/standalone/i386 on the USB stick or partition where you previously copied it
5. run: sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

rdisk0s2 = identifier for MY unmounted Lion partition, can be different for everyone so type in the CORRECT identifier for YOUR Lion partition to avoid problems
6. take out USB sticks/boot DVDs and reboot
7. if it works you can reinstall it with chameleon

how do find my chorrect identifier?
Umm I think you go to terminal and use the command:
diskutil list
then it should give you an output with the disk numbers and partition numbers

awsm said:
karacho said:
I quote MacMan: "A lot of the issues are due to the new drives using 4K sectors. There is an open issue in Chameleon http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/129/. They have found that if you use dd in Linux it will work! So the issue is in the version of dd OS X uses or the OS X kernel.

Also the can have issues if they are installing on a volume that is larger than 1TB or in a multi boot environment."

Ok, so forget what i mentioned above to copy Boot Files onto the UniBeast Thumb

I can confirm the solution on voodoo.projects.org works with Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 6GB/s drive (WD20EARX).

I downloaded and installed:
Chameleon-2.0-r1394.pkg.gz

I also downloaded and extracted:
Chameleon-2.0-r1394.tgz

Both can be downloaded from (requires being logged in to view downloads):
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.p ... 137.0.html

Open the extracted folder from the .tgz file and copy the i386 folder to a USB: Chameleon-2.0-r1394/usr/standalone/i386

Run an ubuntu live cd launch terminal and change to the directory of the i386 folder then type:
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/sda2 bs=4096

sda2* is the location of your Lion installation. You can confirm the location by opening the Disk Utility GUI in ubuntu and selecting the drive and partition.

After reboot :)

it works on my 4530s 640GB Hitachi, thanks

Can you give a tutorial how to change to the directory on terminal using ubuntu live cd.
This is my first time that i use linux cd .
I open the terminal but i dont know wat to type to change to the usb directory/i386.

i just copy the i386 from the chameleon on the usb.

Never mind ,i found it
cd /media

Hi Guys,

Just another tip on the Boot0 errors, you dont have to run it under linux,

The trick is to run the command that installs the boot1h file with the volume unmounted, that is the key,

Regards
Ebrahim

Ebrahim said:
Hi Guys,

Just another tip on the Boot0 errors, you dont have to run it under linux,

The trick is to run the command that installs the boot1h file with the volume unmounted, that is the key,

Regards
Ebrahim

Thats not the case for the WD green with 4096 sectors. For some reason it doesn't stick when you use terminal and only sticks using the terminal in Linux.

You need to boot with your Lion installation media, and install the boot1h file with the volume unmounted, then it sticks even with the DD command of OSX.

Sorry... i'm totally lost... I'm having the same issues... I start with the installer USB to the installation screen (the only way to dismount Lion's partition in disk utility), I have copied the Chimera unpacked files to another usb, I dismouted the Lion partition but when I finally reach the i386 directory (accelerated self taught unix lessons, lol) and run the sudo dd command, Terminal tells me "sudo command not found" so I can't do anything more... any idea?

Thanks!

sorginetxe said:
Sorry... i'm totally lost... I'm having the same issues... I start with the installer USB to the installation screen (the only way to dismount Lion's partition in disk utility), I have copied the Chimera unpacked files to another usb, I dismouted the Lion partition but when I finally reach the i386 directory (accelerated self taught unix lessons, lol) and run the sudo dd command, Terminal tells me "sudo command not found" so I can't do anything more... any idea?

Thanks!

already solved: when you get into installer you are superuser, so "sudo" it's unnecesary

Bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back