Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I made a huge mistake of trying to update the cpu monitor (FakeSMC etc) after upgrading to 10.9.4. So my system wouldn't boot anymore. No problem as I have two backups on a hard drive. I managed to run one of them and used superduper to copy that one to my SSD. BUT the SSD won't boot and gives the Boot0: error. I've done this many times before without issue. OK, go back and try to copy it all again. NO, now I can't boot into what was the working hard drive. It's as if the MB no longer sees a bootable system.

OK, now a small panic. Look up that problem and it suggests I create a Chameleon USB boot drive. I did this using an old method (didn't work) and a later one using Multibeast which boots the Chameleon bit, shows three installations to choose from. Now I get a new error can't find mach_kernel. I've tried to add mach_kernel onto the USB and I can see it is there at the top level but still I get the same error. Unfortunately what I'm tryting to do doesn't fit the reported problems for mach_kernel as I have already three installed systems which should work if I could get past the mach_kernel error.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next? Some of this is made worse I suppose as I only have access to a Powerbook running 10.5.8. Also I don't want to trash all the work that I've added to the system since it was built. I do have Timemachine backup too but first I need to boot the machine. Is there a bootloader I can just download that will work without me having to involve the powerbook other than as a download vehicle?

Anyone else having a problem similar with working systems just giving up?

I tried all the things I'm familiar with. Safe mode gives the same mach-kernel error. Verbose mode produces a lot of of @Read HFS+ file: [hd(2,2)/System/Library/Extensions/---.kext @ messages that I've never noticed before. It ends the same with the mach_kernel message.

Chimera is v1.7.0 r1394 Build Date: 2011-12-10, which seems very old, which is why I was looking for a newer version.

Any suggestions for further info that I can provide?

Thanks

Update

I downloaded the latest Chimera which still complains about mach_kernel BUT says press any key to continue. So I do and back to having a choice of systems to boot, but none do. Using verbose I can see that one is complaing about Hwmonitor and FakeSMC and two others are having a panic not able to find direectory '/dev' ,2.

Am I now missing a file that Unibeast would create for me on the USB?

Well, I'm up and running again. I typed in mach_kernel and I thought we were dead as grey screen and then no display. BUT I noticed the disc light flashing away and it continued to do so. So I changed the monitor connection to DVI and voila ('cos I live in France) the system was up and running from the SSD. I guess that doesn't mean the Boot0 error has gone away so at present I'm copying 10.9.2 which is running onto another backup and then I'll try the multibeast solution targetting this new copy. If I can then boot that copy I can reverse around and target the SSD.

Of course I'll try to confirm the boot0 error is still there by trying to boot the SSD without the USB.

Finger crossed and I'll confirm if ok.

This is to confirm all is now fixed (except Hwmonitor). Multibeast fixed the boot problem on the SSD although why this all became such a problem I don't know. Hwmonitor is just giving drive temperatures and SSD status which is fairly useless but I'd rather leave well alone.

So to summarise, if I mess with Hwmonitor expect to get a non-bootable system. Using Super-duper to copy a working system somehow did not fix or created a boot issue. Mach_Kernel problem of using a Chameleon USB fixed by typing Mach_Kernel into the boot. Fixing the Boot0 problem is as simple as re-running Multibeast (6.4 for me) on the problem drive. Finally I think a new SSD as a backup might be a very slick way to keep a backup system, plus a bootable USB that is tested before it's needed.

Im glad, yes, always backup when its all working correctly, I use CCC but I hear SD is good as well.

HW Monitor shouldn't be giving you the grief it is, take a screen of your multibeast setup and post.

Are you going to 10.9.4?

That should update without problems, make sure you resolve all the issues you have now first though.

I guess the problem lies with the SSD 'cos I upgraded to Yosemite and again had problems. Eventually got rid of the booting via USB by typing the long fix string into terminal. (Only if you get the 2 sectors written message is it fixed!!!)

Hey Ho, such is life with a Hackintosh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back